Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2021

Poetry on Thursday: Good for a Laugh

Though the month is flying by, we still have two Thursdays left in National Poetry month, and today's theme is poetry that is humorous or clever. I mentioned yesterday that I really enjoyed the volume of Carol Ann Duffy's poetry that I read last week, so I thought I'd share the two shortest poems in the collection. They're both ones that made me laugh at loud, and we could all use more laughter in our lives. These are also two for which you're likely to know the reference of the named male counterpart (and thus get the full effect of the joke).

Mrs Darwin

7 April 1852.

Went to the Zoo.
I said to Him --
Something about that Chimpanzee over there reminds me of you.


Mrs Icarus

I'm not the first or the last
to stand on a hillock,
watching the man she married
prove to the world
he's a total, utter, absolute, Grade A pillock.

From The World's Wife (c) Carol Ann Duffy 1999

Be sure to visit Kym, Kat, and Bonny today for more poetry!

8 comments:

  1. These are both very funny! Carol Ann Duffy is a new-to-me poet, but I think she is both clever and funny. With that delightful combination, I will definitely be reading The World's Wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are brilliant! What fun, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA!! LOL Great choices Sarah.

    I'm so enjoying the feast that you, Kat, Bonny and Kym share with us each week. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So succinct + clever! Carol Ann Duffy is new to me--but these sure pique my curiosity...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! I love it when writers allow themselves to be silly. I'll all Carol Ann Duffy to my list of poets to look for - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect! LOL I love these! :)

    ReplyDelete