Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2021

Poetry on Thursdays: A Poem in Your Pocket

It is the last Thursday in April (how did that happen so quickly?), and today is Poem in Your Pocket Day! That link will lead you to the Academy of American Poets website and their page on this annual celebration of poetry, so click on over if you'd like to learn more. The basic idea behind this event is to share poetry, typically with a poem that's short enough to fit in your pocket (I guess because short poems often seem more accessible).

Today I'm doing something brave: I'm sharing a poem I wrote myself. I used to write a lot of poetry as a child and teenager (and most of it, as you might expect, was angst-y and filled with teenager-type stuff), but I haven't written any in years. I guess you could say I've been inspired by all the poetry I've been reading this month because I've found myself jotting phrases down here and there. This is a short one, as befitting the occasion, and it was inspired by the first Thursday of this month (and I even have a photo from that day to set the mood).


                                                On Arising to Snow on the First of April

                                                Though the flakes float down,
                                                
Spring flowers are still blooming
                                                And birds greet the day.

                                                                                (c) Sarah Jordan, 2021

I hope you've enjoyed all the poetry this month as much as I have! Be sure to visit Bonny, Kat, and Kym today for more poetry for your pocket!

9 comments:

  1. Love your Haiku Sarah - thank you for sharing (and such a pretty picture too). It's been a fun month with all of you sharing poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful poem, with an equally wonderful photo! It is brave putting something you wrote out there for all to read, but I'm so glad you did. I'm also glad to have shared National Poetry month with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely haiku, Sarah! And spring snow photo. Thank you for all of the poetry you shared this month--especially the new introductions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photo and poem are perfect! Many thanks for sharing both!
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sarah - how lovely! Thanks for being brave and sharing your poetry. All of this poetry has me thinking of taking a poetry class and that's just a terrifying thought all around. Your bravery makes me consider it even more.

    And you're reminding me that I also wrote poetry as a teenager, which I completely blocked out, apparently! There's so much to learn and try, isn't there?!

    Thank you for all you posted this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Sarah! And so perfect! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect spring poem, Sarah. You really captured the whole "spring thing" -- and how, in the end, the birds are the true sign of where all "this" is heading. Thanks so much for sharing poetry this month -- and especially for sharing your own lovely words. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Sarah, I LOVE it!! and I do hope you don't see more snow in May :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete