Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Balance in 2021: July


Raise your hand if, like me, you were caught completely by surprise that this the last week of July. I honestly don't know where this month has gone, even though it hasn't felt terribly busy. But it is the end of the month, and that means a check-in on my word for the year.

For me, Balance this month has felt less like me putting in an effort to stay balanced and more like the universe reminding me that I have to take both the good and the bad in each day. The month started off well, with lower COVID numbers and a trip to see my aunt and uncle for the first time in more than a year and a half. But as the month progressed, the outlook on the pandemic started to look worse again, and then there was the loss suffered by my brother-in-law and sister-in-law that brought us all low.

Life is a rollercoaster. I'm not a big fan of wild ups and downs and try my best to stay on an even keel. But as this month has shown, we can't always control everything in our lives, and there will always be highs and lows. The key is how we react to them, and on that score, I think I'm doing a pretty good job. In the past, I might have ruminated on the low points and worked myself up, but thanks to practice (and a lot of therapy), I have gotten better at working through the pain or anxiety or frustration as it comes. And isn't that exactly how balance is supposed to work?

Thanks to Carolyn for hosting us for our monthly OLW link-up. I'd love to hear how your word has been showing up (or not) this month in the comments, and I'll be back tomorrow with my weekly knitting and reading update.

10 comments:

  1. You are so right about the balancing our reactions. That is a lesson I learn over and over again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing a fine job of balancing all the things (some especially negative ones) that the universe has shown in July. It's a fine line between acknowledging the lows, celebrating the highs, and not dwelling on either of them obsessively. I also love what Juliann has reminded us of; these are indeed lessons I need to learn over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good point--the balance within each *day*--and what a fine way to get around labeling 'bad days' (although there ARE some of those, certainly). And I'm right there with you! I actually thought about skipping a Monday post altogether this week, as it felt pretty full to begin with. Then I remembered I had a link-up to host! Ha. Looking forward to hearing your reading update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have a good attitude about all this (after all, so many things are out of our control). Life is a roller coaster sometimes. Hopefully I'm wearing a seatbelt!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a July, right? Your post made me think of something you and I have emailed about in the past... that it's important to think of balance in longer time frames than a day, a week, or even a month. It's about finding the sweet spot on the seesaw. We'll all have months that are low (or are wobbly) but it's about learning to slowly find our way back up to a happy medium despite it all. And vice versa! A long period of euphoria presents its own set of challenges, I suppose.

    I hope August is full of happier things for you. I'm still thinking of your family through this difficult time and hope you've all found some comfort with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This month did absolutely just fly by. I really needed these words today Sarah: "we can't always control everything in our lives, and there will always be highs and lows. The key is how we react to them"

    Those words are the reminder I am going to say to myself when I am feeling overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is an ebb and flow of good and bad things, for sure. It sounds like balance is showing you how to manage both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful update, Sarah. I think a "balance practice" is so vital in helping us weather those ebbs and flows of life. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad that this hasn't thrown you under the bus, honestly. It is certainly hard, but it's so so good that you can still ward things off well enough to take care of yourself! I still have to pick up meditation more often again, but from what you write, you are really far along the way - keep it up!!

    (I am absolutely with you about being confused by this year's pace, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you're meeting your word ... and it's giving you a helpful framing to get through those low times. and what a great reminder that balance is a muscle we can develop with practice. (although it sure would be nice to get a month where we didn't have to practice quite so much, you know?!)

    ReplyDelete