Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

What's the Holdup?

Tuesday again -- the weekend flew by, as it always does. Isn't it strange in this new reality of working from home that I sometimes look forward to a work day because it means I'll be forced to sit all day and that means a higher likelihood of getting some knitting done?

Saturday would have been the perfect day to sit and knit all day -- starting midday, it was gloomy and pouring off and on. But I ended up being busy most of the day. I went for my walk in the morning, while it was dry, then cleaned the bathroom and started the laundry, and then Rainbow and I did a Target run in the afternoon, mainly because while the few things we needed we were in desperate need of, she needed the distraction from the discomfort of her new orthodontic device (she's doing much better with it now, by the way, but she was cranky for a couple of days after she got it). Once I did get a chance to sit down, I was determined to finish plying the last skein of my HipStrings yarn, and then I spent pretty much all of my Saturday evening skeining and washing the skeins.

Sunday was a similar story. I knit through my weekly Zoom session, but then there were chores to do around my house and my walk, and then we had dinner on Sunday evening with our siblings and siblings-in-law and nephew (only the human one; the dog nephew stayed home).

All of this is a long-winded way of saying that I really have not made as much progress on my ADVENTuresome Wrap, and while I know that one reason is just a general lack of time, I still can't figure out what's taking me so long. I have only had to tink back one row in the past week because I've forgotten the wrong-side decreases, which means I'm finally getting the pattern into my head. But I've only just started the eighth stripe, so I'm not quite a third of the way through it.


I know one issue is that this is a project that I have to look at while I knit, so I typically only work on it while I'm watching TV or other videos. And lately I've been prioritizing projects (be they knitting or spinning) that I can do while I read so that I can make progress on my bingo cards. So maybe I need to listen to more audiobooks. But I think there's also something about the fact that this project uses mini skeins, and that means that there are inevitable interruptions to my knitting -- I have to wind a new mini for each stripe and periodically pause to weave in ends -- so I can't really get into much of a flow. 

It might be a little ambitious of me, but I would really love to finish this by the end of the month. That would mean knitting almost two stripes per day on average or, by my count, about 30 rows a day. That seems doable, especially if I prioritize the project. So please, hold me accountable, will you? I'm going to start keeping track of how many rows I knit per day, and maybe I'll even make things easier on myself by using my ball winder to wind a few mini skeins ahead of time (so far I've just been hand-winding them because it seemed like too much work to set up the ball winder and swift for something that would take just a few minutes). I've found lately that I also seem to be getting more done when I make a daily to-do list for myself, so I'm going to put those 30 rows on my list as well. What do you think -- can I do it?

9 comments:

  1. I think you can do it! I have been pushing myself to knit just a few more rows on my shawls by writing the date in the margin on the pattern. It really helps to see my progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, all it takes is telling someone you want to finish by a certain date. I hope that's the case for you with this project. It's really beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it!! I just started The Other Black Girl on audio and think it's going to be perfect to see me through the end of JiJi (which I would also like to finish this month!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find just _posting it_ helps on the accountability front. Also recording the progress (and perhaps setting a daily goal, along with the recording of what's accomplished.)
    So much seems to take an extra push these days, what with the 'getting out + about' and 'being with' again... I had no trouble finding pandemic silver linings, but I'm starting to think I might need to look for the 're-opening silver linings'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it. I alternate between flitting between two or three projects and then knitting exclusively on something in order to finish it. Sticking with one project is when I find the rhythm that helps me finish. I hope Rainbow's mouth is feeling better - Ugh orthodontia can be sore and painful at times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh that shawl is gorgeous! I am finally at the point where I am not rushing to get things done or making deadlines for myself (other than planning some knitting for Christmas gifts). I've discovered that sometimes I feel like knitting and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I feel like stitching and other times...not so much. But...it's ok. As long as I am enjoying what I am doing, that works for me!

    But, man! The days seem to be flying by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think once you've decided to do something, then you will! Of course you'll wrap up that wrap (!) by the end of the month :)

    And what a weekend! I can't wait until self-cleaning houses are invented -- I'll be the first one on the waitlist! (As long as I'm a billionaire by that point, of course)

    I hope Rainbow continues to adjust to her new orthodontic device. I think we might have a few of those in our future, so I know where to seek advice when I need it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Katie... once I've decided something, it gets done! (I have struggled with this a bit this summer because I have tried to purposely slow down...)

    I am glad that Rainbow is getting used to her orthodontics... that is one miserable experience I have not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds to me like you're "buying-in" to your shawl project. I'm gonna bet you'll get it done (or at least you'll make GREAT progress). And I remember those orthodontic days. . . Ugh. (But it will all be worth it in the end.) XO

    ReplyDelete