Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2021

Three Unrelated Things

It's Thursday, and it's been one of those weeks, so I'm joining up with Carole and friends for Three on Thursday with three things that have nothing to do with each other -- just three things I'm enjoying right now!

1. Good listening for my walks
Margene mentioned the Wind of Change podcast in our Zoom chat this past week, and I've been listening to it all week during my walks. It's kind of like an audio miniseries in that it's an eight-episode exploration of whether the CIA had any hand in creating the Scorpions' song "Wind of Change," which just happened to become a big hit right around the time that the Soviet Union was starting to crumble. Even though I'd never heard of the song and most of the events that are discussed happened before I was really paying attention to world events, it's been a fascinating listen. It's hosted/created by Patrick Radden Keefe, the journalist and author who wrote Say Nothing and Empire of Pain. I am just about finished with all eight episodes (I'll listen to the last 10 minutes or so right after I hit publish on this post!) and have thoroughly enjoyed them.

2. Low-maintenance hair styling
With the humid weather we've been having and with my hair being shorter than it's been in a long time, I have been letting it do its own thing most days and experimenting with different curl products I have. My hair is naturally curly -- as in I get spiral curls if I have a little bit of product in it to keep it from frizzing -- though most of the time, especially when I was still going to the office, I'd blow it straight. I'm enjoying the much easier routine of letting it air dry and curl up, and I'm also hugely entertained by the rather prominent gray "highlight" I always seem to get, even if it forms more of a wave than a curl:


3. Knitting up a new skein of yarn
I've pulled out a skein of sock yarn to wind later today to take with me to the orthodontist tomorrow. They will be socks for my sister-in-law (the one married to my brother, as opposed to the one married to my brother-in-law) for this Christmas, mainly because these really look like her colors:


I'm even more excited to knit this particular skein up because although I can see the colors and know that there are six different stripes from the label, I don't have any idea of what order they'll knit up in. This is one of Lisa's one-of-a-kind skeins, the result of her playing with her dyes but not really noting what colors she used or in what order. So the first repeat will be a lot of fun!

I hope you can find at least three random things to enjoy today and that the end of your week goes well. I'll be back on Sunday with a conclusion to the 2021 Tour de Fleece!

11 comments:

  1. Those are three very good things - and I love your natural curls! Good luck at the orthodontist tomorrow; I'm glad you'll have fun yarn for company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you had curly hair - lucky duck! It looks so cute in that picture! Thanks for sharing these 3 great things right now. I love that yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hair! I am on the lookout for a great skein of striped yarn so I will check back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your casual hair style. The sock yarn looks like it will be fun to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your hair looks great! Thanks for the podcast recommendation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hair looks amazing! Thank you so much for the podcast recommendation... that sounds like a very good thing to listen to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am envious of anyone with natural curl in their hair. Since my surgery I've haven't been able to use a hair dryer. but I can finger dry it and it looks pretty good, but takes a long time for my hair to fully dry. However, it's not something I want to do in the winter months. Good luck at the orthodontist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have beautiful hair!! And grey is going to look so good on you (although I hope you still get to keep your natural hair colour for quite some times still!)

    The yarn looks great - you have made socks or hats with this, right? I think I do remember the blog posts about it, and it looks great! Good luck to Rainbow for tomorrow, and happy knitting to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your hair looks wonderful, experiment away and do all sorts of fun things with it. Love that beautiful yarn, such gorgeous colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your hair and that yarn!! For some reason, I just cannot get into podcasts...or audio books. Not sure what's up with that.

    ReplyDelete