Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Unraveled, Week 28/2021

It is Wednesday again, so I'm linking up as per usual with Kat and the Unravelers to talk making and reading.

If you can believe it, I'm down to just one knitting WIP -- I'm as shocked as you are! It's my ADVENTuresome Wrap, which has sadly been largely ignored for quite a while. I took it with me on our trip to Michigan but never took it out. I've decided that it's been neglected long enough, so I am going to focus on it now until it's done. Last night I started the fifth stripe (remember that there will be a total of 24):


I expect that it won't be very long at all until there's another project on the needles. I'm taking Rainbow to the orthodontist on Friday to get her first appliance put on and may be there for as long as an hour and a half, so I will need something to keep me busy -- maybe some socks or another charity hat.

Reading has been good this past week, though that pesky day job has shortened my time to read a bit. I've finished three books:

I had been meaning to read Suite Française for quite a while, since I heard the story of how it came to be (the short version: the author wrote it in France during WWII and had planned it to be a series of five books but was deported to Auschwitz, where she died, before she could write the last three; the two volumes she finished were only just published in 2007). I have read a lot of WWII/Holocaust fiction -- it's probably my most-read genre -- but this is the first one I can remember that focused solely on stories of non-Jewish civilians. I did enjoy it, though I didn't quite get a sense of a cohesive narrative; I suspect this is largely due to the fact that it was unfinished. I gave it 3 stars.

Bingo square: Originally published posthumously

Dear Senthuran, by the author of The Death of Vivek Oji, was recommended by Margene in one of our Sunday Zoom sessions. It's a memoir in the form of letters, and in it, Akwaeke Emezi explores and tries to explain their identity and how this identity has complicated and enriched their life. I was really fascinated by this read, though at times I felt that there was much I was not getting or fully appreciating. Emezi identifies as trans and as not a woman but a non-human god, an ogbanje. While I still have much to learn about the broad spectrum of gender identity, I can honestly say that this identity is one I have never come across, and I am now anxious to read Emezi's debut novel, Freshwater, which sounds quite informed by their own experiences. This is a hard read, and I admit it made me occasionally uncomfortable, but it was worth it. I gave it 3 stars.
Bingo square: Epistolary (card #2)

I did not intended to read two books about the trans experience back to back, but Detransition, Baby popped up from my library holds on Saturday morning and the timing was perfect to get lost in a book, so that's what happened. This is an excellent read and well worth the buzz surrounding its release earlier this year. I can honestly say that I learned a ton from reading this book, even though it is fiction. I would hope that, given that the author is trans herself, it's an accurate representation of what it's like to be trans on a day-to-day basis. I will note that this book is fairly explicit in its sexual content, so if that makes you uncomfortable, it may not be the book for you, but I think it's well worth reading if you are cis and want to be a better ally. I gave it 4 stars.
Bingo square: An LGBTQIA+ author (card #2)

I now have just five squares left to fill on my first bingo card, and I am going to focus on filling those squares before I read any more for the second (and I know exactly which books I'll be reading for those as yet empty squares, too). My two current reads are Their Eyes Were Watching G-d, which, though a short book, is going slowly because of the dialect, and No One Is Coming to Save Us, which I just started yesterday and is my current reading-while-spinning choice. My three remaining squares consist of two books I own in print and one that I can borrow from the library via Hoopla, so there will be no waiting to get to those.

What are you working on and reading these days? How is your bingo card coming along?

9 comments:

  1. I missed Margene’s recommendation of Dear Senthuran, will have to look for that one. I did enjoy (?) Detransistion, Baby. I heard the author talk (maybe NPR) and was happy that it was available so quickly at my library. Some uncomfortable stuff but that is one thing I am looking for in my reading life, to push outside my comfort zones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eager to see your ADVENTuresome Wrap as it grows! (And I well remember those days of waiting at the orthodontist . . . ) Enjoy your reading -- and your day. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for those book recommendations! I read Suite Francaise for that same square a summer or two ago. And I think Detransition, Baby sounds like a good option for a square I have this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Detransition Baby sounds like a book I need to read! As does Dear Senthuran! Thank you so much for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck for Friday!! I hope it all goes well. The shawl looks great, but yeah, I don't think I would bring it anywhere - are you weaving in the ends as you go when you begin a stripe or are you finishing the whole stripe first before you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I predict a sock for Friday! and sure hope you keep up the momentum on the shawl - it's going to be a stunning FO.

    Interesting about the Emezi book ... looks like a Diversity and a Growth opportunity for me. It should be up in my library queue by the end of the month and I look forward to Connecting with you and Margene about it (... now I just wonder if it will prove Delightful?!)

    I have two squares left on my card - and thinking I could finish it this month if I don't let myself get distracted with other books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The circumstances surrounding the writing of Suite Francaise, alone, make me curious. If not speechless. (I reread that a couple of times to digest it.) I just picked up Girl, Woman, Other for my Author of Color square. But my check-outs are piling up (and my reading time is not!). We have a lot happening here in the next 3 weeks, so we'll see how the squares come along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've found some interesting books to read this week! Great job on your bingo cards - what fun summer reading :)

    Your wrap is looking lovely - I'll enjoy watching it grow. I'll be on the lookout for what you decide to start on Friday and best of luck to Rainbow at the orthodontist office!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wrap is so pretty. I look forward to seeing more of it. I always have to relearn how focusing and working on a project gets me to the finish. Yes you will need a project as you wait in the orthodontist's office.

    ReplyDelete