Pages

Monday, November 15, 2021

Unexpected Excitement

It turns out that I really did need a three-day weekend, because last night, for the first time in a long time, I didn't feel like I had run out of weekend before I'd gotten done everything that I wanted or needed to. Rainbow and I did a lot of shopping on Friday, and I also took care of a large chunk of my to-do list, and the best part is that when the day was done, we still had a weekend to go.

One thing we did on Saturday was stop by a site for Cardigan Day. Our local PBS station, WQED, is where Mister Rogers' Neighborhood was filmed, and for the past several years, they've been celebrating Cardigan Day. This year it coincided with World Kindness Day, and they had several sites around the city where you could show up in your cardigan, take photos, and get some goodies. Two of the three of us had hand-knit cardigans to wear (clearly I need to remedy that and make sure Rainbow has at least one non-store-bought cardigan):

We're looking extra smiley because just before this photo was snapped, a clueless person had wandered in front of us.


You may recognize the sweater the Mister as wearing as one I knit him a couple of years ago for the station's Cardigan Party. When we stopped by the event, I realized I was seeing double:


The man on the left is Chris Fennimore, who is a bit of a local celebrity known for his cooking shows on WQED and cookbooks. We were chatting about the sweaters and learned that while his sister knit this cardigan, he actually knits and crochets!

For the most part, it was a quiet weekend, but we did have some unplanned excitement yesterday -- we found out that my sister-in-law tested positive for COVID, and because we were at their house for dinner last Monday, that meant we were exposed. So yesterday we all took our first COVID tests. Fortunately, we all tested negative:

My brother-in-law and my in-laws also were negative (we haven't heard about my nephew), and my sister-in-law's only symptoms seem to be loss of smell and taste, but it was very concerning, especially because all the adults are fully vaccinated. I guess it's a good reminder to stay vigilant!

I wrapped up the weekend by finishing the second charity headband, this time just a plain rib, and it's a little comical how different the two look in size even though I cast on the same number of stitches for both! They still have to blocked, but they'll get sent off this week.


I hope your weekend was significantly less exciting than mine (or at least if it was exciting, it was the good kind of excitement).

8 comments:

  1. So relieved to hear that you all have tested negative. I’m getting Colton tested today (for like the 6th time) because he had an exposure last week AND a super high temp all day yesterday.

    Thanks for sharing your cardigan pictures - what a fun event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The excitement of a three-day weekend, Cardigan Day, and seeing Chris Fennimore in his matching cardigan are all good, but definitely not being exposed to covid. I hope your SiL's symptoms resolve and all the rest of you remain negative. Thank you for the timely reminder that we all need to stay vigilant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...Cardigan Day! I always have a nostalgic Mister Rogers Moment when you post these each year. And PHEW, what a relief you all tested negative--though so sorry to hear it in the first place. I'm increasingly concerned over the number of breakthrough cases in people we know 'up close + personal.' This is no longer a 'numbers' issue. I sincerely hope your SIL regains her taste + smell soon.
    Wishing you all well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy about all those negative tests. We had some friends who lost their sense of smell so they thought they would drink some inexpensive wine. Turns out they didn’t lose their sense of taste so that didn’t work - ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy about those negative Covid tests. Thanks for the reminder to continue to be vigilant. I have one group of friends that have thrown caution to the wind. The headbands look great. I hope your SIL recovers well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your SIL is feeling better soon . . . a COVID case is always worrisome! I love your family cardigan photo, Sarah. It's such a fun shot -- and the sweaters, of course, are beautiful. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cardigan photo is wonderful, I love your big smiles! And I'm relieved about your negative test results, too. I think it's a great reminder that the vaccine works in keeping most of us COVID free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those cardigan photos! The best! :) And I love the Mister with Chris Fennimore!

    COVID... sigh. I have been watching cases just explode in Allegheny County over the past 10 days or so. And I love giving myself this reminder... the vaccine does not mean you won't get COVID. It means if you do get it... your body has the things it needs to fight the virus thanks to your vaccine!

    ReplyDelete