Pages

Monday, November 01, 2021

Monday Too Soon

Does anyone else have the experience of planning a relaxing weekend only to find that they barely have a chance to sit down? That was my weekend. We didn't even have that many plans (my brother and sister-in-law hosted us for a Halloween party on Saturday afternoon but had nowhere else to be) and yet I managed to fill nearly all my waking hours with cleaning, laundry, walking, grocery shopping, and cooking. The irony that I seem to get more crafting and reading done during the workweek is not lost on me!

Despite my complaining, I won't say it was a bad weekend. The party was actually pretty fun, if a bit chilly (we were outside for COVID safety). My brother is very into Halloween and gives us all a hard time if we don't put some effort into our costumes, so the Mister and I went for easy but effective:

Can we interest you in some insurance?


These were truly simple costumes to put together. The Mister has a ton of red shirts from work, and we had a couple of plain white aprons from a cooking class we took years ago, so we printed out some logos and attached them to ourselves.

My brother and sister-in-law also went for low maintenance (and if you can't tell who they are, the cookbook is a big hint):

I somehow did not get a picture of Rainbow all dressed up, though I doubt many of you would have known who she was -- Isabelle from Animal Crossing New Horizons. Most of her costume was just regular clothing, but I had to sew some yellow fleece "ears" that we attached to a headband. I'll have to see if the Mister snapped a photo of her at some point.

Though I did not get a ton of crafting done this weekend, I did make some progress on my cowl sample, and I'm hoping to focus on it this week to finish it so I can write up the pattern and release it this month.


I am on the fourth mini skein of the set of six, and I've definitely noticed that I'm picking up speed now that I've figured out exactly how many rounds I want to work in each color.

We did not get many trick-or-treaters last night (which was not a huge surprise; even in a non-pandemic year, we don't get many because we're near the end of a dead-end street), but I made a mini Thanksgiving dinner of sorts -- a roasted turkey breast, fresh cranberry sauce, mashed sweet potatoes, and asparagus -- that was a big hit. Even my picky kid asked for seconds of turkey! I had more than 18K steps on my Fitbit when I got in bed last night, so it's no wonder that I passed out as fast as I did.

I'm hoping that the week ahead will be relatively calm. The Mister is leaving on a short work trip later today, and on Thursday I'm scheduled to donate blood -- this will be my eighth donation in the past couple of years, which will get me to a gallon donated! I'm trying to donate as often as I am able (and as often as I can find a drive located near me), and it's especially important now that there is a critical shortage of blood. And of course we'll be paying close attention to the news tomorrow and Wednesday as the CDC decides whether to approve the Pfizer vaccine for kids 5-11.

I hope you had a good weekend and have some candy leftover to enjoy this week!

11 comments:

  1. Love your costumes. We didn’t get any trick or treaters but didn’t expect any either. I got started on my new sweater and rolled a bunch of mini skeins for a pattern coming on Thursday. Also found some good combinations for leftover yarn hats. Hope your week is good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your costumes! Flo and Jake are some of the best characters on tv 😃

    Your Halloween meal sounds delicious. I hope you have lots of leftovers and can take a break from cooking for a few days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of dressing up, but your easy costumes are quite effective! I'm smiling just imagining Rainbow as Isabelle! I think of her (Rainbow, not Isabelle) every time I hear vaccination news for children, and I hope she can get her shots soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Halloween! What was the saying, dress up smarter not harder? ;) I really like your costumes, and I think your brother's and his wife's idea are hilarious! Rainbow's costume sounds super cute, Animal Crossing is such a fun game (I have to dig out mine, too, now that they finally made an update).

    I really love how your cowl is coming along! It looks as if this will be great for using up leftovers, too?

    I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you will have a nice week. (And thanks for the reminder, I still have to work up the courage to go and actually donate blood!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your costumes are great and I'd love to see a photo of Rainbow dressed as Isabelle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun, full weekend! Sounds like a balanced one, too--fun + chores + steps + good food. (We didn't get a costume pic, either. However, the bunny hoodie is so warm + cozy, I know it will be worn enough to get plenty of pictures in the near future! Especially since we got our first snowflakes today.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it was a fun (if busy) weekend. Love your costumes - so good! And your brother and SIL's too. Hoping the Mister took a picture of Rainbow. We only had one knock at our door (while we were having dinner). That's one more than last year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had TWO kids (from one family, so really just a single visit) for Trick or Treat. obviously we did NOT have any reason to dress up ;-) Katie Facetimed from their street party and it looked wild; I guess we just don't live in the good Halloween places (which is fine by us!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your costumes... but Rainbow's... I love it!! We did not get a single child this year, although I had hopes because we have neighbors with trick or treat aged children, but all was quiet at their homes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great costumes. We were not home on Halloween but the number of trick or treaters continues to dwindle in our cul-de-sac. The hat is very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oops. It is a cowl not a hat. Sorry. The cowl is very fun.

    ReplyDelete