Pages

Monday, November 08, 2021

What a Difference ...

... a good night's sleep makes! My arm is still a little sore, but my joints no longer feel like they are falling apart. I think my reaction this time was a bit worse than after my second shot (this time in addition to the achy joints, I also felt really, really tired), but luckily the effects lasted only a day like last time.

As much as I enjoyed having a weekend where we were doing a lot of hanging out at home, I'm also glad that Rainbow is back at school today so I can work on one of her Chanukah gifts. I cast on this hat on Friday but didn't get very far (I get an hour in the evening after she goes to bed if I'm lucky), so I'm hoping that I can make much more progress during the school day this week.

This is my own version of the Musselburgh-style hat that everyone is making these days -- a tube with a crown at either end. I'm doing mine a bit differently (using a spiral pattern for the increases/decreases), but the general concept is the same. One end will be shoved inside the other and it will be reversible. I'm referring to it as a Pittsburgh hat -- of course pronounced in the Scottish way: "Pitts-boro."

I also pulled out my Shifty pullover this weekend, after at least a week of ignoring it, and added a handful of rounds while we watched an episode of Bake Off.



I think now you can see where I changed the main/background color; I did think about blending it in somehow, but I couldn't think of an easy way to do it. I really don't care all that much, to be honest, though I know some people would be bothered by a horizontal line across their torso. Frankly I think there's so much going on with the handspun that it won't be terribly obvious. If I can find the time today, I will slide half of the body stitches onto a spare needle so that I can try it on and make sure it fits. It looks okay to me, but I want to be sure before I carry on. There's still quite a bit of knitting to do on this, and I don't want to waste my time if it won't fit.

I hope your weekend was restful and your Monday is calm! See you back here on Wednesday for an update on the WIPs and my reading (spoiler alert: it's been good!).

9 comments:

  1. I love that Pittsburgh hat! That yarn is perfect... the colors are just so rich!

    And your Shifty is my favorite... your colors are just incredible, Sarah. I think the change in background colors is fine... it is really a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the Pittsburgh hat and your Shifty are lovely! Here's hoping work is quiet so you have a lot of knitting time this week. I'm looking forward to your Wednesday update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are feeling better! The hat is going to be terrific, I like the spiral increases a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gets so hard as they get older, doesn't it?! I remember when my kids went to bed at 7. I had hours left in the evening! Now, I'm usually in bed within 30 mins of Elsa--and before either one of my big kids. (Thank goodness Troy stays up later to shoo them into bed!) Loving those hat colors...AND, every time I see a Shifty at the 'cap sleeve stage,' I think to myself, 'I'd be tempted to stop those sleeves right there!!' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are all feeling better and slept well. The hat looks like fun. I have been tempted by that pattern. A hat of double layers sounds very warm and I like to walk in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im too, love your shifty. It looks moody to me (darker) which I love. And Rainbow's hat is going to be a stunner. Very nice! Glad you are feeling better and I hope this week is a gentle one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I REALLY love the way your Shifty is coming together, Sarah! The colors are fabulous together -- and it's going to look great on you. The hat looks great, too. I love the stripes and think it's going to be a perfect surprise for Miss Rainbow! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Shifty is looking fantastic, Sarah - it's the perfect pattern to show off your handspun! my booster took me out for 36 hours (ugh!), but I'm so glad it's done. and woohoo! for the younger folks getting their first shots. Sam & Charlie get theirs on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. I started Matrix this morning ... I hope your copy comes in soon!

      Delete