Pages

Monday, January 16, 2023

A Weekend of Finishing

Good morning, friends! As they say, what a difference a day makes -- or, in my case, a couple of days! I finally got a bit of a pause Friday afternoon after sending off another round of articles. There is still plenty of work to come, but I think I am over the hump on these three big projects. And a long weekend was the perfect antidote to all the stress of the workweek.

After not having much time to craft during the week, I made up for it over the past couple of days. Saturday was actually a pretty busy day because Rainbow had her regional Future City competition with her team from school and was at the event all day. The Mister and I joined her for the afternoon. Her team came in second place, which means they don't get to go to the national competition, but they won the Best Model and Students' Choice awards, so they have a lot of reason to be proud of themselves (and the team they lost to had twice as many students on it). Thanks to all that sitting around, I finished up both the charity hat and the socks I've been working on:


I also had time this weekend to ply up the skein of handspun that had been waiting patiently for about a week:


I am absolutely thrilled with this skein. It's South African Superfine Merino in the colorway Ice Shelf -- my first Southern Cross Fibre spin of the year. I spun all the singles onto one bobbin, then wound them off into a center-pull ball so that I could ply from both ends. The finished yarn is fingering to sport weight and approximately 395 yards. And I've already started spinning my next SCF spin, which I think will coordinate quite nicely with the most recent skein:

This is a colorway called Best Friends and was inspired by an image from the movie How to Train Your Dragon (David did a series of dragon-inspired colorways at the end of last year). The base is grey merino, so it adds some beautiful depth to the dyed color. I'm spinning this one the same way as Ice Shelf, with the hope that the resulting yarn will match well enough to use both skeins together in one project.

We are all off today for MLK Day, so we'll have a quiet day before it's back to the grind tomorrow. I'm hoping to spend some time at the wheel with a new library book!

11 comments:

  1. Great finishes (Rainbow, hat, and socks), and both of those fibers are lovely. They will definitely go well together. Enjoy your Monday and your short work week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finishes, indeed! Enjoy your day off... I can't wait to see that second skein come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Rainbow and her team - well done!! Your knitted finishes are beautiful Sarah and your handspun is swoon-worthy. I do think the two colors will go very nicely together. Have fun spinning today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice Shelf is beautiful!!

    Congratulations to Rainbow and her team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to Rainbow and her team! What an excellent competition,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not see the blue in that newly plied skein until you shared the finished photos. Wow! Also, I apparently forgot to comment on your post about the recent Gamache - I still haven't read it, but I'm so glad to see your 5-star review ... seems this one is getting very mixed reviews and I'm hoping I land in the 5-star, not the 3-star camp! AND I saw last week that Jacqueline Winspear is launching her new series March 21 with The White Lady (!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hat and socks look great. But that skein of yarn is just gorgeous. I do love the soft colors. I hope you enjoyed today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are great socks and the hat is awesome. Whenever I wonder how I used to knit so many socks I remember all of the musical performances and drama performances I used to sit through and then it makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ice Shelf! Gorgeous color, for sure--but that name seals the deal. Love it. And big congrats to Rainbow and her team--what a HUGE deal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, BRAVO! to Rainbow and her team! What a great experience for them all. (And Student's Choice? That seems like the BEST award. It's always wonderful to be recognized by your peers!) I love your yarn, Sarah. That blue-sky color/combo is one of my favorites; I'm always drawn to blues like that. Lovely knits! So glad your schedule cleared a bit of time for you to finish up some great little projects.

    ReplyDelete