Pages

Monday, January 09, 2023

New Year, New Word

2023 will be my fourth year of having a One Little Word. Unlike the three previous years, this year's word did not announce itself clearly. I weighed several words as 2022 came to a close, and I'm not entirely sure if I chose the best of the contenders, but as we are starting the second week of the new year, it's time to go with one.

Before I share my word, I want to share a story that I think will explain why I ultimately settled on it. Those of you who know me know that I like having a routine, that I don't like taking risks, that I am a rule follower, and so forth. I tend toward worrying and being anxious, so I like knowing what to expect. I've been known to turn down last-minute opportunities because I find the disruption unsettling and worry I will regret saying yes. But occasionally I will say yes. That was the case in the fall of my senior year in high school. I remember vividly being in the art studio (I was the only person in the AP Studio Art class, so I spent a lot of time there) when a couple of other students came to find me. That day, the members of the World Affairs Club were headed to a hotel downtown to hear His Holiness the Dalai Lama speak. One of the members had fallen ill and was absent from school that day, so there was an extra ticket available. The school administrators decided that the fairest way to determine who would be offered the extra ticket was to put the names of all the other students in a pot and pull one -- and my name had been picked. I hesitated at first, because going on this trip would mean missing several classes, and the conscientious student in me was concerned about that. But the other students in the art studio at the time were commenting on how amazing it was to have the opportunity and how lucky I was to have been picked. And I realized that this really was a once-in-a-lifetime chance -- how many people can ever say they've been in the same room as the Dalai Lama? So I said yes. And it was incredible. I was even just a couple of feet away from him as he left the hotel ballroom after his address, and to this day, I don't remember anything about making up the work I missed, only what an extraordinary experience that was. And it was one I would have missed if I didn't avail myself of the opportunity.

What's that old saying about how we miss all the chances we don't take? That's very much on my mind right now. I'm not saying I'm ready to take big risks, but I do want to be more open to the opportunities that present themselves in my life. With that in mind, my One Little Word for 2023 is:

I'm looking forward to seeing where this word takes me over the next twelve months!


11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story, Sarah! And a terrific word, too. I look forward to following along with you on your journey this year. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great word, Sarah! And I love the story behind it. I can't wait to see how embrace unfolds for you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that story and your word. I look forward to reading about how this word will show up in your life this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible opportunity, Sarah! (and I am so glad you availed yourself to it!) I think this is an awesome word choice... and I think this will be a fascinating journey! Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great story, Sarah, and I love how it led to a wonderful word. Embrace can have lots of meanings and nuance and I don't think it necessarily includes taking big risks. I look forward to seeing where it takes you this year (and that is a great graphic)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you embraced the chance to see the Dalai Lama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great story, Sarah, and I'm so glad you decided to be spontaneous and go see the Dalai Lama. I think embrace is going to be challenging AND fun for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elder Son did his undergrad at NYU in Manhattan. One day he heard the Dalai Lama speak, then went across town to hear Paul Wolfowitz, Dubya's #1 warmonger. Culture shock! I think your word for 2023 has the potential to bring you great joy, many surprises (perhaps one or two not happy surprises), some unexpected adventures, and great knowledge. Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say your son got quite a lesson in contrast that day!

      Delete
  9. What a moving story to introduce your word--and a gorgeous Embrace visual! Looking very forward to following along with your year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story. I can't quite imagine what it would be like to hear the Dalai Lama speak. Embrace is an interesting idea and word. I admire your way of continuing to challenge yourself.

    ReplyDelete