Pages

Monday, January 30, 2023

Embrace in 2023: January

Usually January is a month that drags, but this month has flown by -- no doubt because it has been so unusually busy. And suddenly it's the last Monday of the month, which means it's time to check in on my One Little Word. Thank you to Carolyn for hosting our monthly OLW link-ups!

As I was reflecting over the weekend about how Embrace has played a role this past month, I realized that there were two areas of my life this past month when I have not only accepted things but welcomed them. First there was the busy pace of work. While there are projects typical to this time of year, I was surprised by three atypical projects hitting at once. I can't say I didn't complain about the volume of work, but I also knew that the only way to get past it was through, so I put my head down and got it done. One of the benefits of working from home is that it is easier to work late if I need to (now that I no longer need to run out the door to pick Rainbow up at school), so I did just that. On the first Friday of the year, I worked until 6 so that I could finish up some work and not be thinking about it all weekend. Did I enjoy being so consumed by work? No, but I recognized that the more I embraced the volume of work, the sooner I'd be done with it.

The second area I've embraced this month has been running. For as long as I've been running as part of my exercise routine, I've been known to say that I hate it -- that is, I hate the actual running while I do it but love having run. This month, though, I've noticed a bit of a change. Instead of dreading my runs, I've found myself looking forward to them (what?). I've even gone out in rain, snow, and slush despite knowing I would get completely soaked, and in the most recent instance, I stayed out for my full usual distance even though I kept thinking about how much nicer it would be to be warm and dry at home. Despite the squishing in my shoes, I kept thinking, "I can't quit now -- I haven't gotten my miles in yet!" I did order some waterproof trail shoes to avoid the squishing on future damp days, but I think it's clear that I've now fully embraced an identity as a runner. I am feeling stronger and have increased my endurance (I can regularly run 2 miles straight without stopping to catch my breath, and I've even gotten to the point where my walking days don't feel quite as satisfying. Who am I?!

These aren't major things, but I am encouraged by them because they show some growth (continuing my word from last year!) and flexibility given that I generally like my day-to-day life to be predictable. I'm looking forward to seeing what I embrace next!

13 comments:

  1. Things don't have to be major to still matter! Congratulations on your embrace of accepting what is at work and not just complaining about it. And looking forward to running (even in the rain) sounds pretty major to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Sarah! These are both amazing (and incredibly challenging) things to embrace... and yet, you have! I think this is an excellent start to your word and I can't wait to see where embrace will take you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I always love about having a word every year . . . is the way it shows its presence in the everyday-ness of our lives. And you have shared two excellent examples of just that! XO (And YAY for embracing your runner-self! That's super exciting.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are off to a great start with embrace and especially in noticing how it's made your life better in ways you hadn't expected. Go you, runner girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's impressive is that you have embraced positively things you don't like. That takes guts! Go you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am trying to reframe things, because I think we tend to avoid the things we hate. Sometimes that's just not something that's feasible, so I might as well embrace them, right?

      Delete
  6. I think those are big! And exciting. And embracing both really 'feeds' your every-day life. What a January, I'd say!! (And how do you like the shoes?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful word ... and what a wonderful first month of embracing! Not gonna lie, I'm jealous about your running (I really found my stride ;-) as a runner in my late 40's and early 50's) ... and ... glad to be able to enjoy it vicariously. (I will say that running in the wet was never my thing - that's why I have a treadmill - but I learned to love - "embrace"?? running in the cold.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire your ability to embrace running. Embrace is a word with all kinds of possibilities. I predict a good year for you and the word.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you connected embrace with growth. I get the whole work thing (as I'm sure you can imagine). It's curious to me how my work life just seems to be busier and busier and, like you, I find myself working later than normal to "embrace" it and get it done! I would love to run again, but I believe my running days are over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure I could ever embrace running in the cold and damp, but I can totally understand how good it makes you feel to have done it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You picked a great word! You've taken accepting what is to a new height and already it's paying off. There is so much expansiveness with the word Embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you were able to reframe your workload last month. What a helpful way to think about it! And yay for enjoying your runs! I've always been jealous of people who are able to run for fun (my husband is one of those people) -- it seems like such a joyful and jubilant way to exercise. The bounce! The spring! That's not me. One of my health goals is to move with buoyancy -- so that means lots of jumping in my workouts. Yikes. But I'm trying to embrace it :)

    ReplyDelete