Pages

Monday, January 23, 2023

Best Friends

It was hard to wake up this morning, as it's Monday and a gloomy, snowy one to boot, but I woke up satisfied with a very relaxing weekend. It actually felt a bit like a long weekend, as Friday was very quiet at work and I was able to get a lot done around the house, including plying an entire skein of handspun:

This is my second finished skein of the year, and it was spun up in less than a week! This is the most recent Southern Cross Fibre club shipment to enter my stash, as it was December's colorway. It's called Best Friends and was inspired by this photo from the movie How to Train Your Dragon:

I spun this one up exactly like the previous one -- end to end, then wound into a center-pull ball and plied from both ends. Apparently I spun this one a bit finer, because I ended up with about 75 more yards (approximately 470 in this skein):

The base on this shipment was grey merino wool, which I think added so much depth to the saturated colors David used. It's not too obvious in the photos, but in real life you can see the subtle shaded effect. The colors were very much in my happy place as far as preferences were concerned, and this skein goes very well with the pale blue I finished last weekend, so I think a striped shawl using the two may be in order.

Let's see how I'm doing in my SCF spin-down project, shall we?

Two of the bags have now been spun, and the next shipment on the wheel is one that was hiding when I took this photo and later found under some project bags. Meanwhile, David has posted themes for February (he's doing a monthly spin-along this year), and they include warm colors and combo spin. So perhaps I will spin up a couple of colorways together for a combo spin and spin up that reddish fiber in the top row to go with the last combo spin I completed (I'd still like to use it for a lightweight sweater for me, but I'd need a bit more yardage if I want it to have long sleeves).

I don't know that I can manage to keep up the pace on the spinning for the entire year, but it's a good start, and if I end the year with fewer bags of fiber than I started with, I'll be happy!

10 comments:

  1. The colors in that handspun are just gorgeous! It's always so satisfying to see the spinning stash shrink and the yarn stash grow. I'd love to start spinning again but I'm not sure how that will go over with Fred & George. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That skein is beautiful and you've got some lovely fiber waiting in the wings. I'm imagining all the newly-spun skeins stacking up in your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many pretty colors in that group of fibers. I think the blue on white is my favorite one.

    Your spun yarn is gorgeous. Happy spinning! You have a lot to keep you going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes did a little dance on me at the start of your post, and I erroneously read '...including plying an entire skein of handspun' as '...including plying an entire skein of happiness.' (And then I thought...Well, looking at that gorgeous skein, I think they're synonymous!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a gorgeous skein of yarn, Sarah. I am in love and can’t wait to see the next project on your wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a gorgeous skein of yarn! I have the tiniest bit left to spin and then the playing will begin... then I can begin a handspun sweater (my first!)

    I think that picture of stash is lovely! And I see some potential combo spin options in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. another beautiful skein, Sarah! (and I just love how well his inspiration photo matches you yarn) Those reds are going to be so pretty together - but are you just a little bit tempted to keep with the blues?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful skein of yarn. The gray undertones make for subtle deep color. The picture of the stash is so much fun. There are so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So gorgeous, Sara! I love that color . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous color - love the pops of green throughout. And what glorious colors in your stash - you will be having fun!!

    ReplyDelete