Pages

Friday, January 20, 2023

Much More My Speed

Happy Friday, friends! For a short week, it's taken its time going by, but we have at last reached the end of it. I'm happy to report that this week was much more relaxed at work (probably due to the hectic pace of the previous two weeks), so there has been more downtime and less stress. And my projects are moving right along.

My current charity hat now looks like an actual hat with actual cables! I'm almost through the first repeat (of two) of the body chart, and though all this cabling certainly isn't fast, I do love the look of it.


The only thing I am not loving is how ruffly the tubular cast-on edge is; though it's less apparent when the brim is stretched to be worn, I'll be doing a little research to see if there's a way to tighten it up.

My spinning obsession is continuing, and yesterday afternoon I finished up my Best Friend singles, so later today I'll be winding them off the bobbin so I can start to ply.

The fiber below the bobbin is the "extra" bag of Southern Cross fiber that I discovered hiding amid my project bags, and it'll be the next thing on the wheel. It's a 70% superfine merino/30% mulberry silk blend in the colorway Forest Gathering that's just begging to be spun finely. I think I will likely split the fiber lengthwise so I can break up the color repeats a little and then plan to chain-ply.

We've got a fairly quiet weekend ahead of us -- the only thing on the calendar at present is dinner tomorrow evening for my father-in-law's 75th birthday -- so I am hoping it includes a lot of crafting time. I hope your weekend includes plans for the same!

9 comments:

  1. I do like the look of your cabled hat! And that fiber photo is gorgeous- all my favorite colors in place. Hope your weekend is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That center cable on the hat is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was curious about the tubular cast-on on Wednesday. I've never done it--and I am wondering why more hat patterns don't call for it. I've made a modest dozen or so hats over the years and realize, now, none ever called for it. And they end up a little tight! So why not more calls for tubular?
    Enjoy your weekend--sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That new fiber looks like a perfect transition from the ice blue you plied last week to what you spun this week. I'll be curious to hear what you learn when you research the tubular cast-on ... I wouldn't be troubled by the relaxed look of the edge when it's not being stretched - I think that's the beauty of this cast-on. I don't have a super crafty weekend planned, but I do hope to start a new project and get two recently finished (baby) knits wrapped up to mail on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is to a weekend with crafting time. The new fiber is beautiful. The cables just pop in that hat. Someone will enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are inspiring me to knit more complicated charity hats. Mine are usually plain or perhaps striped if I anticipate running out of yarn. Yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is usually my MO, but I find that a charity hat is a great way to test-drive a pattern. If it comes out too small or too big for me, I can make adjustments the next time around, and there's no waste because that hat will fit someone!

      Delete
  7. Such a lovely hat, Sarah. Love those cables! And your spinning, as always, is just divine. I hope you enjoyed a restful weekend. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hat is really nice and the cables are beautiful. I hope your weekend was great!

    ReplyDelete