Pages

Friday, June 23, 2023

The End of a Long Short Week

It feels like it's been a very long week, even though technically it was a short work week thanks to having Monday off. But there's been a lot of stuff going on -- extra meetings, two trips to the orthodontist (one scheduled, one not), and general changes to the schedule -- that have made it stretch out. But it's finally Friday, and I'm looking forward to wrapping up the week and putting it behind me.

I did indeed finish the brioche cowl, though I still need to weave in my ends and block it, which I hope to do later today.

I'm absolutely delighted with how it turned out (though I'm generally happy with anything in a rainbow). This version is a bit shorter than the original, which used six mini skeins rather than five, but it's still plenty tall enough to keep my neck warm -- and I do mean my neck, because Mo <del>stole</del> was given the original sample, so I'm keeping this one. Once the finishing is done, I just need to take some new pattern photos, make some minor edits to the pattern, and send it off to Knit Picks.

Mo is working to finish up a blanket for her newest cousin, so we haven't gotten back to our shawl knitalong. Rather than starting another knitting project, I decided to start spinning something new. I thought I'd turbo-charge my stash spin-down by doing a combo spin of three past Southern Cross Fibre club shipments:

I pulled out three colorways that looked similar, and I'm spinning each one onto its own bobbin and will then ply them all together. What you see here are three colorways from three years -- left to right, Woodland Stream (September 2022) on Falkland, Rainforest (January 2023) on Bond, and Gran Cenote (August 2021) on Falkland. Falkland is technically a merino, but it's a bit toothier than the merino you're probably used to and feels very similar to Bond, so I think these three will play nicely together. I've started with Gran Cenote and have spun almost a quarter of it; I split the fiber lengthwise into four long strips, just to break the colors up a bit, and I'll do the same thing with the other two colorways. I don't expect this to be a fast spin because it looks like it'll be a three-ply fingering, but that is my default yarn, so I'm hoping I can get it done while reading or watching something without too much thought.

This weekend we'll be celebrating my newest nephew's (ceremonial) bris and baby naming, and my aunt and uncle are coming in from Michigan to meet him. The ceremony is on Sunday morning, but we'll be having multiple family dinners and lots of extended family time -- good times for the soul! I hope you have some good things planned for the weekend ahead!

7 comments:

  1. That is a nice bright cowl and the green handspun will be gorgeous! I hope you have a lovely family weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rainbows and family gatherings - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy this celebratory weekend, Sarah!! And good for Mo--love that she's got another blanket going.
    Exciting to get that pattern off to Knit Picks. (And a perfect June project--a rainbow.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a joyful weekend for you and your family, Sarah! (as joyful as that cowl is!) I can't wait to see how those colors play together in your next spin! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy all the family time this weekend. The rainbow cowl is lovely and as Carolyn wrote, perfect for June. As always I look forward to watching the fiber being spun into yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had a lovely time on Sunday, celebrating with your family. What a wonderful thing to celebrate, too. XO I love your rainbow cowl. The colors are so great together -- and it looks like the perfect cowl for winter walks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love that cowl! Can't wait to see the combo spin, I love those fibers :) Hope you all had a lovely time on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete