Pages

Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Unraveled, Week 25/2023

Happy Wednesday and happy Summer Solstice! Today is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere, so I'm making sure I drink every last drop of my coffee. It's also time for my weekly link-up with Kat and the Unravelers! Let's start things off with a finished skein of handspun:

You saw this yarn as singles on Monday, and I took literally all afternoon to ply it; I was hoping to finish it earlier in the day so I could leave it outside to dry in the heat, but it took so long to ply and then skein it up that I wasn't able to wash it until after dinner. On the plus side, there's a lot of yardage! The finished yarn is in the fingering/sport range and about 440 yards.

This was another fractal spin, which means I split the fiber in half lengthwise, then split one half in half again. There's not quite as much barberpoling as there would be had I split up the second half into more pieces, but I'm quite happy with it. This spin was particularly special because I inspired it, in a way. Periodically, David of Southern Cross Fibre asks members of his Ravelry group to post photos for color inspiration and then selects several of them to inspire new colorways. This particular colorway, Hens and Chicks, was inspired by this photo that I shared:


I've now spun 13 club shipments so far this year, and I've pulled out three more to do a combo spin for my next project.

I'm still working on my brioche cowl and hope that I'll have it finished to share on Friday. But let's turn to reading, shall we?

I've finished three more books since last week, including a Big Read.

I didn't want to be too far behind Katie, so put in extra time to make sure I could finish Doctor Zhivago over the weekend. I adored the movie version when I saw it years ago, and reading The Secrets We Kept several years ago piqued my interest in reading the book. I had high expectations, and I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. I did buy the cheapest ebook version available, though in conferring with Katie, I'm not sure it's to blame for the abrupt shifts in time between one paragraph to the next. Overall, I did not get the romantic story I was expecting, and instead I found I thought Zhivago was kind of a jerk who took advantage of one woman after another. There were moments of beautiful writing, so it wasn't entirely a waste of time, but I didn't love it. I gave it 3 stars.


I was in need of an audiobook late last week, so I went back to Ann Patchett's backlist and borrowed the last of her novels that I had yet to read. Taft, despite its name, is really about John Nickel, a bar manager missing his young son, who has recently moved away with his ex. The titular character is the deceased father of the bar's newest waitress and her troubled brother. As is typical of Patchett's books, the characters are vividly drawn and the writing is good, but the story was strange and I didn't quite see the point. Also, I think it's inexcusable that the narrator mispronounced the author's name THREE TIMES (as "Pratchett") in the recording and the publisher didn't fix it. I gave it 3 stars.


Thankfully after two so-so reads, I had a real winner. Pigs in Heaven was technically a reread for me; I read it for English class in eighth grade, though I remembered only the general outline of the plot. I also suspect that reading it as a mother myself was an entirely different experience compared to reading it as a teenager. A sequel to The Bean Trees, this book follows Taylor and Turtle as their unusual story comes to the attention of the Cherokee Nation. The novel addresses the Indian Child Welfare Act, the importance of heritage and community, and what makes a family. The characters are quirky but lovable, and the writing is superb. I really loved this reread and gave the book 5 stars.


I'm now fully immersed in an advanced reader's copy of Happiness Falls, which Bonny spoke about so highly of during our last Read With Us Zoom that I immediately requested a copy. I only started it yesterday afternoon and am already nearly halfway through, and I'm hoping work cooperates enough today to allow me to get lost in it again.

What are you making and reading this week?

11 comments:

  1. That is a really lovely skein (and you know I'm imagining what it might look like knit into a Hitchhiker)! I had hoped that Doctor Zhivago would have been better for all of the reading time you invested and "Ann Pratchett" just has me shaking my head. It sounds like you've become immersed in Happiness Falls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your skein is gorgeous Sarah. I'm thinking a shawl of some kind (longer depth than a Hitchhiker maybe?). Early Kingsolver is so good. Glad you enjoyed your re-read of Pigs in Heaven. Wishing you an easy day where work cooperates and you can get lost in a book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your handspun! Wow! I love how that looks! Well done! (and I immediately found my thoughts following Bonny... what a fantastic Hitchhiker! Haha!)

    I have read no Kingsolver, but I am adding this to my TBR list, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that yarn is gorgeous! It's so reminiscent of your inspo photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful skein of handspun! I am plugging away on my dishcloth and I'm currently reading I Swear by Katie Porter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty skein of handspun yarn. It would be fun to knit with those colors on a winter day. I read those early Kingsolver books when they were first published. She is a remarkable woman and writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn2:43 PM

    Stunning, captivating colors!
    And UGH to Pratchett. (All I can say is….lame!!) I just started her …Happy Marriage essay collection on audio after falling in love with her non-fiction when I listened to These Precious Days. Patron Saint of Liars still holds no. 1 for me for her novels. Do you have a favorite so far? I think you’ve read a few more than I have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love catching up! The concert!!! more spinning!! and a KAL with Mo :-) also, so many books. Taft is my least favorite of her novels and still a great story about how we make room for the strangers in our lives (!! I revisited my notes about this one after I read her interview in Run). I would love to know how she came up with the idea to have one main character imagine the other main character's whole story?! We chatted a bit about Pigs in Heaven on Sunday's Zoom (Margene and I both re-read it last week, too) and agreed that Kingsolver made some great points about how the ICWA gets applied ... lessons that many folks (including two supreme court justices) still need to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1st ---- your photo of hens and chicks is awesome.

    2nd ---- the dyer represented that so well and .....

    3rd --- GORGEOUS spinning!

    That's three for three!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful spin! And I love the inspiration -- the colors are gorgeous together and David did a great job capturing them.

    I'm glad you loved Pigs in Heaven after finishing two that weren't so great for you. And as you know, I'm relieved to not be the only one who didn't enjoy DZ!!! I hope you are feeling fresh and recovered from your weekend by now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That yarn is beautiful! I am deep in a pink phase these days. Still waiting for Pigs in Heaven but listening to Flight Behavior which is such a good story.

    ReplyDelete