Pages

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Do you smell sausage?


Last night was the monthly knitting night at the Waterworks Barnes & Noble, and once again it was just me and the girls. If you weren't there, then you won't understand the title of this post. Nor did you have the joy of seeing everyone's favorite characters, the pig walker and 40 guy, once again and right on schedule. Only this time, 40 guy didn't have his 40 -- he had a bagel and cream cheese.

Since I arrived a little earlier than the other ladies, I took a few minutes to peruse the knitting section and picked up a couple of additions to my knitting library. I thought I should finally get an Elizabeth Zimmermann book, since I've joined the knitalong and all. (I showed it to J when I got home, proclaiming that I was determined to knit him a sweater, and he snapped right back with, "But if you do, isn't there some curse that would be the end of us?" Ah, how I love my J and his tolerance of my knitting habit!) Of course I let Jenn spend some time with Knit Fix, to see if there were any revelations regarding how to fix her little problem with Mr. Weirdy Pants' sweater.

Tonight I am all about being a couch potato to watch the three big premieres. (PSA: the first two Web sites have music and video playing, so you may not want to click them at work or if you're not supposed to be reading blogs right now.) Of course I will be multitasking by knitting all the while, and I hope to have another FO to show you soon.

Since there's not much knitting content to be had in this post, instead I'll give you the recipe for what we're having for dinner tonight (one of J's favorites, which is saying a lot, since he's a basic steak-and-baked-potato kind of guy).

Golfer's Chicken*
1 package boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/2 bottle Russian dressing
1/2 jar apricot preserves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay chicken breasts flat in a baking dish (you may wish to cut them lengthwise or butterfly them to make smaller pieces, which will result in more tender meat). In a bowl, mix together the Russian dressing, preserves, and onion soup mix. Pour over chicken, spreading evenly over top. Cover dish with foil.

Bake for about one hour, or until chicken is tender, removing foil for last 5-10 minutes to allow sauce to thicken. Serve with rice and vegetable of your choice (I like peas, sugar snap peas, or green beans).

*Sorry, folks. Although I'm an expert at making this dish, I have no clue where it got its name.

3 comments:

  1. I still think it was sausage.

    Mainly what I remember about the Knit Fix book is seeing that duck swatch. And the World's Ugliest Sweater!

    Ok, I'll ask, because I'm too lazy to look it up right now: What's russian dressing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He switched 40 for a bagal? Odd.

    I'm knitting EZ's Surprise Mittens right now and I keep running across her everywhere in Blogland! Cool. (Of course, not terribly surprising considering who she is/was but still).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ex-husband used to make the same exact dish for me, but he called it Russian Chicken. Hmmm....

    It's yummy though. Thanks for reminding me of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete