Pages

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Sockret Pal Questionnaire, plus Bonus Photo

Here are my answers to the Socret Pal Questionnaire:

The basics:
How long have you been knitting?Do you consider yourself a beginning sock knitter, an intermediate, or have you been doing this so long you could probably knit a pair in your sleep?

I have been knitting for approximately 18 years (wow, that makes me sound old!), but only seriously for about the past two to three years. I first became addicted to knitting socks about a year ago, and I'd consider myself pretty skilled. If they were just basic stockinette, I could probably knit a pair in my sleep.


The measurements:
While your pal may ask for some additional info to ensure a great fit, please provide your shoe size, or any other fitting related info you think is pertinent.

Here are my exact measurements: my foot is 9 3/4 inches long and 9 inches around at instep, my ankle is 8 1/2 inches around, and my leg (mid-calf) is about 12 1/4 inches around. I have relatively narrow feet (I wear a US size 9 or 9 1/2, depending on the shoe), but I have pretty thick calves, so I have issues with the cuffs of socks being tight.


(fiber related) Favorites:
What colors do you love? Do you prefer solids or variegated? What fibers do you most love to knit with? Who do you consider your favorite yarn vendors? What projects (other than socks, of course) do you most enjoy knitting?

I love shades of blues and greens, as well as pinks and roses. I usually prefer solids and occasionally use self-striping yarns. I like the look of variegateds in the hank, but I usually wind up with ugly pooling. I usually knit socks with superwash wool or wool blends, but my favorite pair of hand-knit socks to wear are a cotton/lycra blend from Greenwood Fiberworks. Most often I knit with Knit Picks sock yarn, but I also love using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock. I have some Koigu in my stash that I haven't gotten to yet, but I have a feeling I'll love it. I'd love to try some new sock yarns.

Other than socks, lately I've also really been into knitting lace. I finished my third shawl a few weeks ago and have been eager to start another one. The next one I'm coveting for myself is the Shetland Triangle from Wrap Style, which I unfortunately do not own yet.

(fiber related) Dislikes:
What fibers can you not stand to knit with? To wear? What colors would you never wear?

Although I learned to knit with acrylic, and for years knit with nothing else but, since I've discovered the natural fibers I haven't been able to stand it. The only thing I use it for now is knitting baby items (easy to wash!) or for the occasional crocheted afghan. I will occasionally tolerate wool blends that have a little bit of acrylic, but only if special circumstances warrant it.

I have very sensitive skin, so I usually can't do very scratchy fibers like mohair. I also don't like angora -- its loose fibers make me sneeze!

One color I absolutely HATE and will never wear is orange, especially bright, contruction cone orange. I can tolerate pinky peach shades, but that's as close as I get.

The Tools:
Plastic or Metal? Bamboo or wood? Circs or Straights? DPNs or Magic Loop? Are there any knitting accessories you don't have in your collection but would like?

My needles of choice are Addi Turbo circulars, followed by dpns. I recently bought some of the Knit Picks circular needles, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I usually knit socks (one at a time) on two circular needles, either 12" or 16" in length, but I'm going to try to knit two at once on two longer (32") circs for one of my next pairs.

I'm not sure what knitting accessories I'd want to add to my collection -- maybe those stitch markers that open and close and look like little combination locks? I also hear people talking about Chibis; I have no idea what they are or what they're used for, and I definitely don't have one. Oh, and I've been coveting one of those sheep tape measures.

The Extras:
Do you have a wish list? If so, please share the link! Do you like sweet, sour or salty? (or all of the above?) Do you have any allergies your pal should know about? (Certain foods, smoke, pet hair, etc) Favorite scents? Scents you can't stand? Do you collect anything (other than yarn and knitting toys of course)? When is your birthday? (month and day is fine!) Do you spin? Dye your own yarn? Your favorite author/band/vacation spot, anything you think will help your pal know you better...

So let me see if I can just go down the list and cover all the questions ... I don't have a wish list, so sorry, no link. I like sweet and salty. I am allergic to smoke and strong flower scents, especially lilies. I prefer sutle flower scents, fruit scents (strawberry, pomegranate, mango, etc.), "dessert" scents like coffee or pumpkin spice, and I love the smell of clean laundry. Other than knitting supplies, I can't think of anything else that I collect -- I do have a lot of books. My birthday is March 9 (that makes me a Pisces). I do not spin, and I'm trying not to get sucked in, because I have a feeling I'd quickly become obsessed. I have once dyed my own yarn and enjoyed it, although it was a messy project that took a long time. Favorite author: Jane Austen Favorite vacation spot: Cape Cod, Mass. or Italy Anything else? I'm currently planning my wedding, which will be next September 2.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Thus endeth the questionnaire. As promised, I have a bonus photo for you. This is a shot of my favorite knitting spot, in response to Laurie's request to see the places we knit. This is on our third floor, in our "family" room (can you still call it that if there's only two people who technically aren't a family yet?). This is the furniture from my living room in my old apartment. I used to knit sitting on the couch, but now that this chair faces the TV it's my preferred location. You can see my bowl 'o knitting goodies (measuring tape, stitch markers, gauge/needle size tool, sticky notes, etc.) on the coffee table in front of the chair, within easy reach. Most often I knit in the living room downstairs while J tinkers on his laptop, but come the chilly months of winter the third floor will be the coziest spot in the house.

1 comment:

  1. Eighteen years?!? Wow, that's a lotta knitting!

    ReplyDelete