Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2016

I Need to Spin Faster

I thought that by limiting myself to my two fiber clubs and not buying additional fiber, I'd finally make a dent in my fiber stash. I think I need to spin more and faster if I'm actually going to do that.

After I finished the two batches of Southern Cross Fibre Comeback wool, I turned my attention the most recent shipment of the FatCatKnits club. The theme for this go-round is Under the Sea, so all the colorways are inspired by aquatic life. As a reminder, here's what the fiber looked like:

Sea Anenome (left) and Cinnamon Clownfish (right)

I liked the colorway on the left better, so I decided to start with the one on the right, figuring my desired to get to the preferred colorway would be good motivation to get through it. I had decided to spin each colorway on its own, from end to end, and chain ply. I just finished up the first bobbin this afternoon:


I thought I should let it rest a bit before attempting to ply, so I started right in on the second bobbin:


I feel obligated to point out that the little purple bump you see there is some fiber that was stuck to the end of the leader, not a giant nepp or something. As you can see, I've only just started this bobbin, so there's not much on there yet. I'm spinning fine singles that look like they should ply up to a light fingering, but as this is Targhee, I'm counting on it poofing up some in the finishing.

I had a bit of a surprise when I got home on Friday, and while it was not unwelcome, it's not helping the fiber stash situation any. I'd completely forgotten that I'd ordered a couple of coordinates for the March SCF shipment -- Silver Mine:


and Phaser Plum:


I think perhaps I'd better spend some extra time at the wheel this week just to keep things under control. After all, Maryland Sheep and Wool is coming up in less than two weeks, and there's no telling what might follow me home!

No comments:

Post a Comment