Thursday, April 14, 2016

Still More Stripes

The stripe theme continues chez Knit/Wit. First up, a pair of finished striped socks!

Pattern: plain stockinette, with 3x2 ribbed cuff, heel flap and gusset, and wedge toe
Yarn: Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce (80% superwash merino/20% nylon) in Bubblegum, one skein
Needles: US 0/2.0 mm Addi Sock Rockets, magic loop
Started/Completed: March 24/April 12

Not much to say about these except that I'm happy I got them to more or less match without running out of yarn (and with only a bit of fudging). If you look closely at the heels, you'll see that I got just a bit off; to compensate, I pulled out a big loop of yarn just before the heel turn to advance my spot in the striping sequence. I could have ripped back to make them really match, but I figure no one is going to see that spot of my socks anyway.

This skein was the last self-striping one in my stash, and I must've had a moment of weakness when I realized this late last week and stumbled upon a Fibernymph Dye Works shop update. Take a look at what showed up today!

On the left is another skein of Bounce in a colorway called Bahamian. It's self-striping, but the stripes are mirrored, meaning that it'd be pretty tricky to get perfectly matching socks unless I really want to fiddle with the yarn. On the right is a new base, both for me and for Lisa, called Squoosh 2.0. It's a 75% superwash Corriedale/25% nylon blend, so it should be a little more rustic and perhaps a little more durable than the superwash merino. The colorway is called Bring Me Orchids, and I'm excited to try it!

I've been taking my Kouyou to work the past couple of days and have gotten a handful of rows done (they're long enough that I can't do very many in the 45 minutes or so I have to knit during my lunch break). I've even squeezed in a little time before the workday official begins, provided I walk in fast enough, but this morning I managed to royally screw up a row when I was nearly done with it, which meant tinking back. I almost finished correctly knitting the row by the time I had to put it away, so that means I spent almost 30 minutes knitting part of a row. Grr.

The good news is that I'm back on track and it's moving right along. I was getting a bit bored with this project when I was working the stockinette portion, but now that I've started the lace I'm finding it much more engaging. I'm maybe a third of the way through the lace portion, so I anticipate getting it done by next week, if not sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment