Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Pattern Release: Pinola

We now pause our regularly scheduled Tour de Fleece content to bring you this breaking news: I have a new pattern out today!


This is the Pinola shawl, a one-skein project worked in fingering weight yarn. This shawl likely looks familiar; it was my entry to the Mad May Original Design Contest. It ended up coming in third place, which is just fine with me. I was very pleased with how it turned out!


Pinola is worked seamlessly from the top down, starting with a garter tab. While the two outer sections are worked in an easy-to-knit stockinette/garter stripe pattern, the center section is the real star. It features a cascading leaf motif superimposed on a mesh background. As the shawl gets wider, the leaves get bigger. Finally, the lower edge is finished with a picot bind off for a bit of frill.


The lace pattern in this shawl is both written and charted (and here I must credit my tech editor for helping me to come up with a way to chart the pattern in a much more succinct way, resulting in very manageable charts). To be able to knit this pattern, you'll need to know how to use a provisional cast on, pick up stitches, do directional increases (m1L and m1R) and decreases (ssk and k2tog), do yarnovers, do a centered double decrease, and cast on using the cable cast on (for the picot bind off). You'll need about 420-440 yards of fingering weight yarn; my sample used all but about a yard or two of one skein of tosh merino light.


I'm really excited about this one, and my testers were enthusiastic about it as well, so I'm hoping you'll enjoy it, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment