Pages

Tuesday, October 06, 2020

A WIP Round-up

Greetings from a foggy Tuesday morning! The sun is just starting to peek out as I'm settling into my workday, and I'm taking a few minutes this morning for a WIP update.

I have two projects that I've been actively working on the past week or so. First there's a hat for Rainbow that I started last Thursday after I shared the yarn. I knit a deep ribbed brim using only the slub base, which I then joined for a double-thick hem, and have now moved on to the stockinette body, joining in the mohair-silk.


The knitting is slightly faster now, but I still have to be careful that I'm catching both strands in every stitch (though, truthfully, if I don't quite catch the mohair/silk, it's not going anywhere -- one nice feature of how sticky this yarn is!).

My evening knitting time of late has mainly been focused on my Radiate pullover (Ravelry link).


Last night I got through the last round of increases, so I believe I have just about a dozen more rounds to knit before I split the sleeves from the body. I know it looks a little wonky here, but I think that's just a feature of the needle it's on. I have tried it on, as best I can, and it seems okay, but I think it will need a good blocking. As much as I like the look of the yoke, I'm excited for it to be done and transition to stockinette because it's a slow stitch pattern -- though I have to give Joji credit for a really genius was of working the increases into the patterning.

Seeing as September has been over for nearly a week (how did that happen already?), I wanted to give a little running update. Usually the Mister and I participate in two 5K races each fall, the city's Great Race and one in our neighborhood that serves as a fundraiser for our local Boys & Girls Club. They're usually about a week apart, happening the last Sunday in September and the first Saturday in October. Neither one happened this year, obviously, but the Great Race went virtual. If you signed up, you got your shirt and medal in the mail and had the option to run your own race at any time during the month of September and submit it online. I did it earlier on in the month and was really pleased with my time, but the other day I remembered to look up my time online to see how I did overall and got a nice surprise:


I shaved almost two minutes off my time from last year (27:54), and I was less than two minutes behind the Mister this year (24:12). I guess all the running is really paying off!

11 comments:

  1. That hat looks lovely and warm, and I bet the sweater will be beautiful also. Way to go on the running and great time; you should wear your medal proudly! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you on the running! That is just fantastic, Sarah!! (and I love the colors of your radiate!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so enjoying your Radiate WIP ... the colors you're using are fantastic (I honestly didn't look twice at the pattern, but your WIP is making me reconsider). and KUDOS on that 5k finish! will you run during the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your 5K news - congrats!! Yours wips are just gorgeous. I love the colors in Rainbow's hat and your Radiate looks smooshy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your running time, that is fantastic! I tried to get into running a few years ago, but somehow, I was always very slow and running on my own became boring after a while, so I stopped (having a smartphone really helps here, I guess).

    Rainbow's hat looks great! I think the mohair tones down the brightness of the other yarn quite nicely without making it too drab - and the sweater looks really cool! It looks very soft already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll fully admit I was a reluctant runner, and it's taken several years to get where I am. One thing that's really made a difference this year is listening to podcasts or audiobooks while I run. Initially I needed the distraction from how much I hated running; now that it's gotten easier, it's just nice to have something interesting to listen to while I do it.

      Delete
    2. It's so cool that this works for you. For a while, I thought about getting another mp3 player while I was at it, but somehow never got round to buying one (maybe I was too lazy to set it up). I can imagine that audiobooks and podcasts help a lot!

      Delete
  6. Lovely knitting -- and WooHoo to you on the running! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rainbow's hat is beautiful and matches her name. Congrats on your 5K time. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job on the race! And the knitting too of course!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice knitting. That hat will be darling on Rainbow. Just the thing for such a sweet girl. Congratulations on the running. That is amazing to me - a confirmed walker.

    ReplyDelete