Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2020

The Spin I'm In

For a quick minute, I thought I might have two new skeins of handspun to share with you today. The week started off pretty calm at work, so I was able to finish up the singles for one skein in just a few days. Almost as soon as I started the second, though, I got bombarded at work, so it had to wait a bit, and instead I have only photos of singles to share today. But at least they are pretty singles!

Both of these yarns are being spun more or less the same way, and it's one of my favorite ways to spin yarn these days. I split each batch of fiber into thinner strips, which I'm then spinning end to end one after the other so I can preserve the colors. I will be chain-plying the resulting singles (for the uninitiated, that means creating a mock three-ply yarn with one strand by essentially creating really long crochet chains and twisting them) and hoping for a fingering weight yarn with both. Because I was spinning both batches of fiber the same, I decided to spin the singles for both before plying. On the one hand, it's easier to ply singles that have had some time to rest a bit (the twist gets a little less active over time), but on the other, I also didn't have to worry about making adjustments to how I was spinning from one project to the other, which makes it really easy to go on auto-pilot as I'm spinning.

The first completed singles were spun from Corriedale in the colorway Caravaggio:


In addition to the deep red and brown you can see here, there's also some beautiful blue and light tan, those the darker colors predominate, as you would expect in a colorway inspired by Caravaggio.

Peeking from underneath the finished bobbin is the second skein in progress, which I'm now about a third of the way through. This is Kandinsky on Rambouillet, and the colors are simply stunning and so saturated.



I still have quite a bit of actual work that's going to occupy me for the start of the new work week, but I hope that once that's done I'll be able to finish these singles and start plying. So perhaps at this time next week I will actually have two new skeins to share!

Part of the reason I've been so keen to spin up older club shipments is that I'm still in the club and still receiving new shipments each month. The two most recent have arrived in the past several weeks; July took its good time arriving due to all the mail delays.

July was Dahlia on merino/silk:

The color is blowing out a bit, and the shine of the silk isn't showing as best as it could. I'm pretty sure this wants to be some two-ply lace.

August is Flora on Bond, and this makes me think of an apple orchard:

I'm thinking two ply for this, too, but very barberpoled -- maybe a fractal?

Both of these new clubs are going into the stash for the time being, though, because I am determined to get through more of the backlog!

11 comments:

  1. You have so much to look forward to after you finish your work projects! Your work is gorgeous, as always. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May your work go quickly so you can get back to spinning! I'm loving Kandinsky and Dahlia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated when work got in the way of my creativity! I am in awe of all the spinning you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...the Kandinsky and the Dahlia. (I'm a Kandinsky fan--and what a perfect name for that colorway.) I don't know how you focus on work with colors like those waiting in the wings! It's so much fun seeing your projects along the entire spectrum, Sarah, from fleece to finished. I hope you have a mellow work week ahead, wink-wink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that Kandinsky perfect? David is really a genius with color, I have to say. And it's tough focusing on work when I've got this stuff sitting next to me, but it's good motivation to stay focused and get it done!

      Delete
  5. The singles are so so pretty!! I think I have to oil my wheel before I can use it properly, it has been sitting unused for a year or two, but maybe I can get to it this week!!

    The July fibre is so insanely beautiful. I have to admit that I took a peek at your fibre stash on rav, and I just bathed in the colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give your wheel a bit of a spa treatment -- it will thank you for the attention!

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a feast for the eyes! I always love that there is a 'language' for everything out there, there are many words here that are new to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often said that learning to read a knitting or crochet pattern is like learning a new language, and that's certainly true for spinning as well!

      Delete
  7. Ooo! Those colors! (and I love that you are sharing your thoughts on how to spin them!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was excited to read that second paragraph and hear the voice in my head say "oh yeah, that makes sense!" :-) ... and then I got to the bottom and that thing about "fractal" lace and oh boy. another learning curve!

    ReplyDelete