Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Missing Rhinebeck

If this were any other year, or if this was an alternate version of this year without a global pandemic, I would have gotten up super early this morning in order to get on the road to Rhinebeck. While we couldn't have anticipated COVID, I'd known since late last year that this Rhinebeck would be different since we lost Scooterpie. But I couldn't have anticipated that everything would be canceled, and I'm feeling a mix of emotions today.

It was obvious months ago that Rhinebeck wouldn't be happening, and I fully supported the festival's decision to cancel. Even if it had gone ahead, it would have had a very different feel, one that I'm not sure I would have liked -- how much fun would it have really been to see so many friends but have had to stay 6 feet away from them? So part of me wants to do some things this weekend that I would have done had this been any other year, but part of me also wants to keep my Rhinebeck memories pure, in a manner of speaking, so that I'm not too sad. I'm probably not explaining it very well, but I'm sure all of you can understand the reluctance I'm feeling to try to have any substitute event truly stand in for the real thing.

Some things I'll be able to do safely from home. We're supposed to get some cooler weather coming through this afternoon, so I will definitely be wearing sweaters and wool socks this weekend. Rainbow and I spent several hours last weekend making boiled apple cider (basically a syrupy cider reduction) so that we can try our hand at making apple cider doughnuts. I will likely do a little online shopping with some of the vendors who are missing out on one of their biggest sales weekends of the year. And because the trip to Rhinebeck involves many hours in the car and lots of knitting time, I have cast on a new project:

Yes, Bonny, I finally did it! And now I am officially addicted and have started thinking about all the other skeins in my stash that might become Hitchhikers!

If you're able to support some of the businesses missing out on Rhinebeck weekend, I'd highly encourage you to place an order or two. One of the benefits of the festival being virtual this year is that anyone can attend, even if you've never been able to make it there physically. There's a $5 admission fee to the virtual festival, and you can also buy a $5 admission ticket to Indie Untangled Everywhere for access to a host of other vendors.

Whatever your weekend holds, I hope there's time for knitting, wool wearing, and fall color.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Rhinebeck links. Now I am off to find a recipe for gluten free apple cider donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that this weekend is going to be hard for you and that you also have the grief adding to the disappointment. I'm sending you lots of good thoughts and that it will be as bearable as possible.

    The hitchhiker looks fantastic, it should look great with the slow gradiant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sad to be missing a fun weekend, but considering how much loss this year has had for so many people, it seems a bit silly to be too sad.

      Delete
  3. I love, love that you are keeping the spirit and Rhinebecking at Home. I think it's important that we keep the FEEL of these things...the traditions that highlight our seasons. It's easy to let things slip or get in the way--so I find this post particularly inspiring as I embark on some online retreating. Here's to apple cider doughnuts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reason we're not there is very important and we need to continue to stay vigilant, so instead of whining about what we're missing out on, we need to find ways to make the best of the situation at home.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you are missing Rhinebeck, but delighted to see you've cast on your Hitchhiker with that lovely purple gradient. I'm anxious to see it grow!
    (I don't know if making boiled apple cider was fun or a pita, but King Arthur Flour sells it if you make donuts and need more.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your approach to Rhinebeck this year seems very wise, Sarah. I've only been to Rhinebeck once, and I was totally overwhelmed by it! Spending some time shopping the vendors from here at home sounds ideal to me! I'll be eager to hear about your apple cider donut experience. I've never tried making donuts myself, but I'd love to give it a try. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am now the last Hitchhiker Virgin. (I did not see that coming ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not! We share the title :)

      Delete
  7. Homemade Apple Cider donuts sound amazing! I hope your trial is highly successful! :)

    Thanks for the links to the Rhinebeck gatherings. Did you see Jill Draper's new yarn? It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't following your blog last year and didn't know about what had happened.. thank you for sharing the backstory. I'm so sorry about that... how sad!

    I'm glad that you decided to tackle apple cider donuts- and impressed! I hope they turned out deliciously. And that hitchhiker??! I can't wait to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Attending Rhinebeck in person is on my bucket list. Enjoy your donuts and the hitchhiker.

    ReplyDelete