Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

It's a Beautiful Day: Unraveled, Week 3/2021

Good morning, friends! I don't know about you but I have been waiting for this day for a very long four years. I kept waking up super early this morning -- I can't remember the last time I actually looked forward to my alarm going off! I was able to get Rainbow up fairly quickly this morning, too, I think because she couldn't wait to get into our matching outfits:

We're even wearing the same pants! I've discovered that I can fit into a teen size of the joggers she really likes from Target, so now we can really do twinning right. She was planning on wearing her shirt under her uniform polo shirt to school today, but she came home all excited yesterday because they were told today would be a dress-down day. They didn't say that the girls would be able to watch the inauguration at school, though, so we're recording it so we can watch together tonight.

It's Wednesday, so I'm joining up with Kat and the Unravelers to talk about crafting and reading.

My projects haven't changed much since yesterday, although I did spend a good amount of time on Rainbow's socks yesterday and just have to finish up a toe to have a finished pair. Once that is done, I've decided to do a little charity knitting in honor of the incoming administration, so I've pulled out the big bag of fingering weight scraps to do some scrappy hats. When I say big bag, this is what I mean:


It's hard to get a true sense of scale but I can tell you that this bag is about 18 inches tall and was stuffed to the gills. I plan on holding two strands of fingering weight together (to make roughly a DK) and adding an additional strand every time one runs out.

Reading has been excellent this past week. I've finished three books since my Unraveled post last week, and they were all 4-star reads for me:

James McBride's The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother

I read three of McBride's novels last year and was amazed and impressed by his ability to create such vibrant and unusual characters. Now I understand that his unusual childhood was a large reason why. He was raised as one of 12 children by his mother and step-father, having never met his biological father (his mother was pregnant with him when his father died). His mother always said she was "light skinned," but it wasn't until McBride was older that he discovered she was raised as an Orthodox Jew, the daughter of a rabbi and a Polish immigrant. I listened to the audiobook, which alternates chapters "read" by McBride and his mother telling their respective stories.


Erik Larson's The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance during the Blitz

I know many of you read and loved this book, so I won't be telling you anything new, but it is a wonderful read and I learned so much by reading it. Books about history have a tendency to be slow and dull, but this one is neither. It took me a while to read it, but only because it is long and I wanted to read slowly enough to take it all in. I'm definitely going to be reading more of Larson's books in the future!

Rumaan Alam's Leave the World Behind is the next Read With Us selection, and I was lucky enough to not have to wait too long to get it from the library. It's a very strange book, but strange in a way that invites a lot of thought and is great for a discussion. I'd encourage you to read the synopsis but don't write it off completely if it doesn't sound like something you'd normally read. It wasn't really what I thought of as "my" kind of book, but I really enjoyed it, despite how unsettled it made me feel. I'm really looking forward to discussing it with the group!



I am starting to suspect that the library/Libby app knows when you're a reader who typically returns books early and rewards you by shortening your wait time, because despite the app telling me I had three more weeks to wait, I was surprised by a notification that Transcendent Kingdom was available for me to borrow yesterday morning! I started reading it last night and am already something like 22% through it, so I expect I'll be able to finish it up before the end of the week. It's really good so far.

It looks like things are about to get started on the Capitol, so I am signing off for the day. I wish you a good day today, hope for things to improve, and (as always) projects and books that make you happy!

11 comments:

  1. Oh my, you two are THE CUTEST!!! It is definitely a beautiful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful matching outfits on this wonderful day! I am feeling hopeful for the first time after four horrendous years, and your charity knitting and excellent reading help with the hopeful tone. I will be very glad to discuss Leave the World Behind with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent outfits!! LOVE the shirts. Just listened to Joe Biden's speech and I am filled with even more hope than I was when I woke up this a.m. It's a windy, cold, but beautifrul day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the outfits!! (and great idea for scrappy hats! Hmmm, I have a bursting bag as well....)

    And what great reading! I just got Leave the World Behind and after reading your review, I am eager to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the twinning and those shirts say everything! It really is indeed a good day.

    I read Erik Larson's "The Devil in The White City" and enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm going to add "The Splendid and The Vile" to my want to read list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only realized later in the day that there's a typo on the shirts -- they say 2020 instead of 2021! So we're choosing to believe that they meant to reference the year she was elected instead of the year she actually became vice president.

      Delete
  6. Your matching outfits are the best! How awesome :) I hope you and Rainbow were able to enjoy the Inauguration together last night.

    What a great reading week! I also loved both The Splendid and the Vile and Leave the World Behind. The McBride book sounds fascinating - thank you for introducing me to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your shirts!! I've heard great things about Color of Water, with strong recommendations to go audio with this one. I just told Kym I've been on the hold list for the next Read With Us--and that one is way, way out of my genre zone. So best to read in good company! We'll see if it comes in with enough time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think audio was definitely the way to go, especially because the readers were so good.

      Leave the World Behind was way outside my comfort zone, too, but I think I felt much better reading it knowing I'd be discussing it in the future. I'm sure I would have been more troubled by it if I'd just read it on my own.

      Delete
  8. Your matching outfits are the best. Honestly the whole Inauguration Ceremony was so refreshing. Watching Kamala Harris take the oath of office and Amanda Gorman read her poem made me so hopeful. Harris looked so radiant and happy but also dignified. What a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THIS is where you have been making all the scrap hats from!! I love scrap projects, they hold so many memories.

    HOORAY for the inauguration T-Shirts - they look great! And by the way: You two seem to be such a good team, and it always makes me happy to read about the two of you, honestly. Thank you for that. :)

    ReplyDelete