Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Three Things Making Me Smile

I mean, aside from the obvious. Yesterday was such a beautiful day, but it was also an emotional one. I'll admit that as excited as I was to see it come, I was also feeling a bit on edge the whole time. It had only been two weeks since all the violence at the Capitol, and there was so much talk of all the extra security that I didn't feel completely okay until it was over without incident. I recorded the whole thing for Rainbow, although she did end up getting to watch parts of it at school, and we plan to watch it again this weekend. I'm hoping that the second time around, I won't ugly cry.

So this morning, I woke up without the feeling of impending doom that I've had for the past 4+ years, and it was a strange feeling. All the executive orders issues yesterday and watching the first press conference also had me feeling like I was in some alternate reality. I think it says a lot about just how awful the last administration was that hearing about acts of decency and honesty seem so foreign to us. You know what else is weird? Feeling happy about normal things again -- not because I'm forcing myself to look for things to be happy about! I've decided to share three of them for today's Three on Thursday post.

1. The colors of Inauguration Day
I have always looked forward to see what people (well, really the women) are wearing on Inauguration Day. Because the day always falls at what seems like the most depressing part of the winter, I am always cheered by the colors. Dr. Biden, Vice President Harris, Michelle Obama, and Hilary Clinton, among others, did not disappoint yesterday. I'm sure you've seen the photos and video many places, but you may not have seen this brilliant act of marketing on Instagram from Neighborhood Fiber Co. where they pulled yarn combinations to perfectly match all the outfits (even Bernie's mittens that were all over social media yesterday!).


I'd encourage you to click over and look at all the slides on the first two posts, if only just to see the gorgeous outfits again (and I claim no responsibility if some yarn happens to fall into your cart in the process).

2. Amanda Gorman's beautiful poetry
I'm sure many of you were equally awed by this talented young woman yesterday and by her beautiful words. Her poem, "The Hill We Climb," seemed so perfect for the moment -- and didn't you just love how she started by addressing the president and vice president and their spouses and emphasizing Dr. Biden and Vice President Harris? You can read a transcript of the poem here, and you can also preorder a printed copy (the publication date is currently set for September, but I'm wondering if they just might speed that up after yesterday!). I've ordered by copy from my local bookstore.

3. The start of what may be a new obsession
I did cast on a new hat yesterday while watching the ceremony and am officially obsessed. It's just a plain hat, with a 2x2 ribbed brim and a stockinette body, but combining self-striping sock yarn scraps is so much fun. I'm planning to turn the hat inside out when I'm done so that the reverse stockinette shows, because I think this view is so much more interesting!


This hat is all leftover Knit Picks Felici sock yarn, and so far I'm using leftovers from two pairs of socks I knit Rainbow in the past. This hat will go in the charity pile, and I have a feeling I'll be making a bunch more like it!

Here's to a happy end of the week! Thanks as always to Carole for hosting us for these weekly link-ups.

8 comments:

  1. It really started to sink in when Ryan called after listening to Biden's speech and said he had already lost that feeling of overwhelming dread. And those colors! I often get irritated when commentators make a big deal out of what women are wearing, but I couldn't help but admire Kamala, Hillary, Michelle, and Dr. Jill (and of course Bernie's mittens). Your hat is full of lovely celebratory colors as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coats at the Inauguration were all KILLER. I loved seeing what everyone was wearing! I'm also in awe of Amanda Gorman and will be sharing a little bit more in my post tomorrow! Enjoy your hat knitting - the colors look so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the Neighborhood Fiber Co's Instagram post. Brilliant. Your hat looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the beautiful clothing colors yesterday - just what we needed to go with that beautiful poem. I didn’t realize how much I had been holding in and how much I needed to let out. Thanks for the links

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of this! It was an amazing day! (but that hat! CUTE!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole day was so incredible, the words, the flawless delivery, the songs the speeches, the clothes. It was so inspirational and hopefully will help everyone to feel like we can just relax a bit now that a completely competent administration is back in charge. I have to admit I am still tense, I am hoping with a little time I won't feel like everyday is going to bring a new disaster. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still feeling on a high from this past week. The colors. The clothes. The calmness and peaceful feeling. And Amanda Gorman - WOW -- WOW -- WOW! What a class act! And so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this was last week, but even I had a similar feeling - I was a little tense, fearing that something might happen during the ceremony, and now it feels a lot better to read the news, without the constant "OMG WHAT'S HE DONE NOW?!". PHEW.'

    (The hat, by the way, looks fantastic, and I have to admit that I am a little relieved that you are knitting it in plain stockinette and not purling it all for some reason.)

    ReplyDelete