Pages

Tuesday, January 05, 2021

One Little Word 2021

Last year was my first choosing a word for the year, and choosing my word didn't require too much effort or thought -- as soon as it occurred to me, I knew it was the right one. For this year, though, I agonized a bit. I was thinking about it a lot while I was out on my daily walks (one of the primary times I mull things over), and I was starting to panic a bit as the end of the year was looming and my word wasn't naturally occurring to me. The word I ultimately chose came up several times in my considering, but I dismissed it at least twice as too obvious before I realized that its being obvious meant it was the right one for me. My word for 2021 is BALANCE.


I think this is a word that comes up a lot at this time of year, with people making their resolutions and talking about getting more work/life balance or balancing their budget or having a more balanced diet. While these are certainly all important in my life, I want my focus on balance this year to be more of a continuation of some good practices I put in place last year.

I am choosing to look at balance as being about trying to bring about moderation in all aspects of my life. it means finding time to be physically active as well as time to get the rest my body needs. It means nourishing my body with healthy foods but also not feeling guilty about occasionally indulging in the treats that lift my mood. It means reading fiction that is easy and mindless and also reading nonfiction that is troubling and difficult. It means continuing to have variety in my crafting time. And it means prioritizing quality time with my family and time for self-reflection, especially when my office is my home and the boundaries are not so easy to see.

I'm looking forward to seeing where balance takes me this year and hoping that my second year of OLW ends up being as successful as the first!

9 comments:

  1. I love this word. My daughter had this word one year and it was a very good companion. After the chaos of 2020 we need to keep balance at the top of our lists so we don’t overload and tumble over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose balance in 2019, and it was definitely the word I needed. My father had died after years of illness, we bought the house in MD and started living in two states, and then my MiL died. It was a good year for me to actively regain balance, and I like your approach to balance the many different aspects of your life. The obvious choice sounds like it was a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That second-to-last paragraph is so full of good stuff for the year! A wise word for 2021, as the year will likely be a reintroduction of at least SOME of our former lives. We'll all have to figure out what to bring back/how much to bring back/what to toss--balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good point -- I think we all know that we will never get back to the way things were, even if they start to feel "normal" again, so the challenge will be taking the good things that we learned from 2020 while leaving the bad behind.

      Delete
  4. Excellent choice! There really can be a struggle where we think the word that is obvious is the wrong one. Last year, I chose "continue" after a year of "forward," but boy, was that prescient in 2020. I had set a lot of good habits in place in 2019 to move "forward" and I really wanted to "continue" those habits and that forward motion, but then, of course, the world stopped. "Continue" took on a whole new meaning. It was like a battle cry to not let 2020 end or stop me. You never know where your word will take you or how it will apply and, I think, "balance" will be well-chosen and apply to more aspects than you can imagine now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great choice, Sarah! I can't wait to see how this word unfolds for you this year. I chose the word balance a few years ago. In all my years of doing one little word, balance is the word that still bubbles up for me all the time. It was a wonderful word experience - and just what I needed at the time. I wish the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your last paragraph too! It is just so full of possibilities and choices... I look forward to seeing the journey you take this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I talk about needing to find balance all of the time and it's never occurred to me to use it as a OLW - great choice! I think your 21 in 2021 list from the day before reflects this goal. I'm excited to see this magic work in your life!

    Here's to an amazing 2021!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is such a great choice, Sarah - looking forward to your journey (and hopefully picking up a few tips :-) !

    ReplyDelete