Pages

Friday, October 29, 2021

Not-So-Fun Fiber Friday; or, A Cautionary Tale

We've made it to Friday, the last one this month. And this weekend is Halloween, so I have a slightly scary story to share today -- a story behind this mess:


Ignoring all shoes below the bench, what you see here is the contents of our winter accessory boxes -- the storage containers we keep on the shelf in our coat closet to hold the hats, gloves, mittens, cowls, and scarves we wear throughout the winter. Because they're up on that shelf and there's no light in the closet, we don't often look in those boxes, and that's a big mistake.

But I'm getting a little ahead of myself here. First, I have to come clean about a dirty secret, one that will strike fear into the heart of any fiber enthusiast: I have been battling a moth infestation. The source of it was a fleece that I bought several years ago. It was one I bought sight unseen, from the mother of a friend, and I made the mistake of not washing right away or even really inspecting when it arrived. I don't know if the moths were there when it arrived or not, but at some point I discovered that it was full of moths. Not wanting to waste the wool or the money I'd spent on it, I attempted to salvage it. After I washed it, I'd put it into a plastic bin and stored the bin in the basement -- far enough away from my handknits, or so I thought. After seeing quite a few moths flying around, I examined it again and found that the problem hadn't been solved, so the entire fleece went into the compost.

Late last week, when the temperature dropped and I wanted a pair of mittens, I pulled out one of my favorite pairs -- only to discover the telltale signs of moth damage, including a hole. That prompted me to pull out both bins to examine the contents, and sure enough, those blasted beasts had gotten to quite a few things. So now I'm in the process of washing everything. If there's any upside, it's that a lot of what was in Rainbow's bin was old and too small, and much of that was superwash or synthetic and easy to throw into the washing machine. The hole on my mittens was small and near the top of the hand, so I may just needle felt that spot so that it doesn't unravel further. One item that will require some more significant repair is a cowl that Rainbow knit herself (it's the yellow/pink blob near the far right in the photo) -- it was knit loosely in bulky yarn, and it looks like a strand was completely chewed through, causing some unraveling.

I'm posting about this so that my bad experience can be a lesson for all of you. Moths can happen to anyone, but you can take steps to prevent damage from them. First of all, if you are a spinner who likes to work from fleece, wash your fleece when you get it! Inspect the fleece outside and don't be afraid to toss any bit that looks suspect. But there are other ways for moths to get in, so you can do plenty to dissuade them from munching on your woolies. There are plenty of moth traps you can buy that use pheromones to attract the moths to land on a sticky substance from which they can't escape -- and you want to trap the moths, because what does the real damage is when they lay eggs on your yarn or projects and the larvae munch through it as they emerge. What attracts the moths more than anything is dirty wool, and in a knit/crocheted/woven project, that means the dirt and body oils that get on your wool items when you wear them. So an easy way to prevent the moths from getting to them is to wash them frequently! I typically wash my sweaters at least once a season (because I rarely wear them directly against my skin), but things like hats and mittens really should get washed more often. Most importantly, take your hand-made items out frequently and inspect them -- and remember that if you do find damage, it often can be fixed, and if not, the sheep will keep growing more wool!

I hope you have a great Halloween weekend without any moth-related scares!

10 comments:

  1. This is on of the scariest stories I've heard! Your moth tale sent me running for our container of winter accessories, also kept on a high shelf until they are needed. Thankfully I didn't see any damage, but I know how upsetting it can be. I battled an infestation of carpet beetles several years ago, but they only chewed up a few skeins and the best hat I ever knit for Justin. I threw all the yarn in the freezer and cleaned thoroughly, and that seems to have worked. It does pay to be on guard and prevent chewing critters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I found some moths in a ziploc bag of yarn a number of years ago and ever since, I have been pretty good about making sure things are sealed up when stored. I also bought some small cedar blocks to put in my bins where I store my sweaters and shawls. Thanks for sharing your story and reminding us that there are little creatures who would love to feast on our fiber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I'm sorry especially about the cowl that Rainbow knit. This is a good, but scary reminder of what can happen. I use cedar blocks and lavender sachets. I used to keep woolens in a basket high on a closet shelt, now they are in an extra chest of drawers..with lavender and cedar. Happy Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fiasco! Sounds like you're on top of it now--and with some good mending schemes in mind. But, oh my. We had a simply disgusting moth experience this summer--but nothing at all damaging, like this! (We came home from the lake after 2 months and my giant glass jar of birdseed I keep on the kitchen counter was FULL of hatched moths. Thankfully, it was tightly sealed so none escaped. But I've stopped decanting my sugar and flour into those jars, like I used to. Because I'm just too grossed out now!) Hope you all have a Happy Halloween weekend there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! This is the scariest story ever... it strikes fear deep in this knitters heart!

    A good reminder to all of us, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You picked the perfect Halloween-y topic for today - the horror!!

    I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling with moths… yikes! Thank you for the warnings!

    Enjoy your weekend 🕷 🕸 🎃 👻

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my, ugh and I'm sorry! and thank you for sharing. It is a great lesson for Rainbow and I sure hope you managed to save her cowl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Sarah. I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with this. I try to practice "good moth prevention" practices (including setting out those traps you mentioned), but it can happen to any of us!!! Good luck with your preservation methods! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG NO. Oh I am so sorry for you ... Even if a lot of Rainbow's items are too small for her now it still sucks big time. I hope they didn't get into anything else! (Will you inspect your stash, too?)

    Reading this article I realised that yes, I do have quite a few woolen things out in the open ... I should definitely check, and relocating the handknits might be wise as well (I have to clean cupboard space first though).

    Will it be very stressful to replace hats and scarves and mittens?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, I am sorry you have had to deal with this. I have never heard of moth traps but now I'm going to look for some. I also may wash the woolens a little more often this winter season. I hope you defeat the darn creatures.

    ReplyDelete