Pages

Monday, June 06, 2022

Really Almost Summer

I know that last week I implied that I'd be posting a Spinning Sunday update, but as is so often the case, life had other plans this weekend and I ended up being a lot busier than I thought I'd be. On Saturday, I was barely home, and I had to get creative to get my household cleaning done and squeeze in a walk (and I only managed about half of my usual distance). That meant the spinning I thought I'd be able to do did not get done, but there was knitting progress made!

Saturday morning Rainbow and I went to the zoo with my parents to see a talk given by the son of some of their good friends (and Florida neighbors), who has just published a book about sharks intended for a non-scientific audience. Our families have known each other for a long time, and I've known David since he was a little kid (I'm a few years older), so it was pretty cool to hear him speak and joke about how he is the number-one critic of Shark Week. I knit through the whole thing. After his talk, we stopped briefly to visit the red pandas (Rainbow's favorite at the zoo) but didn't stick around too long because it was a nice day and the place was packed. In the afternoon, Rainbow had a self-defense class at a local karate studio with some of the girls in her Girl Scout troop. I didn't know I'd need to stay for the full class until we were on the way there, but once again I had my knitting on hand. I had only shoved a sock on the needles into my small-ish purse, so I did not have a measuring tape with me and had only my foot to gauge the length. I stopped knitting a bit before the end of the class because it looked like I might be getting close to the toe -- these are Rainbow's socks, but her feet are now less than an inch shorter than mine.


I measured when I got home and the foot was exactly the right length before the toe, so I am glad I stopped when I did.

Meanwhile, I got the front of my brother's sweater back on track over the weekend, and though I'm not quite back to where I was when I discovered the problem, I'm very close. I should be back to where I was when I ripped by the end of the day.


What I mainly focused on yesterday, though, was finishing up the singles I've been spinning. Fine singles do take quite a bit of time to spin, particularly if they're being spun worsted, but the fiber left to spin was maybe a foot and a half long. And I did finish last night, though it was after dark and a bit too late to take  photo to do the colors justice. I really needed to wait for sunlight to share this:


I will likely start chain-plying today or tomorrow, which will take much less time than spinning the singles. I'm excited to get this spin finished up and start pondering what I will spin next!

Today, if you can believe it, is Rainbow's last full day of sixth grade. Tomorrow she has about two hours of school (their closing ceremonies assembly, with a graduation of sorts for the eighth grade). I can't believe that tomorrow I will have a seventh grader on summer break!

11 comments:

  1. Those socks are so fun! Any hooray for summer break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a full weekend! Those socks are really so fun! :) And I can't believe you are old enough to have a 7th grader! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love the sock colors! And the fact that they look MADE to go with that project bag :). Sounds like a fun + productive weekend there. And I have to say I am always blown away at your commitment to your cleaning schedule. Curious about that...(Because I have never prioritized it but think how wise it would be to do so.) (I pretty much vacuum, clean bathrooms, and floors when I realize, 'Wow, that's outta hand!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those socks are just wonderful and thanks for reminding all of us to never leave home without some sort of knitting! I also love red pandas and would love to see them at an (uncrowded) zoo. Congratulations to Rainbow on her completion of 6th grade! That is quite a milestone (and I can hardly believe she is growing up so fast)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of your projects are looking great! I love the colors in the new socks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the yarn so much, especially in combination with your project bag. It just evaporates SUMMER so much, I can almost feel the excitement of going to the swimming pool in the afternoon! I also really love the elegance of your brother's sweater and I hope your singles will go quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're going to be making a lot more progress on socks as y'all get out and about more! Congratulations on the 6th grade finish (wow!) and hooray for summer vacation. also hooray for finishing up that spinning yesterday ... looking forward to seeing the yarn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great call on the socks. Congratulations to the almost seventh grader. I bet you are both looking forward to the summer routine. As always I enjoy your spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lucky that you put the sock away right in time - perfect! And I'm glad you're back on track with your brother's sweater. Isn't it crazy how quickly the weekend can slip by? I don't know how it happens.... I hope Rainbow has a fabulous summer vacation. 7th grade! I think it was my favorite year when I was in school :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rainbow's sock is gorgeous - love those colors. Yay for 6th grade graduation and YAY for summer break! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to Rainbow for her 6th grade finish! And . . . good planning on your part, Sarah, to have that gorgeous sock with you on your surprisingly busy day! (I just love those colors.) XO

    ReplyDelete