Pages

Friday, June 03, 2022

Sometimes That's the Way It Goes

Happy Friday, friends! For a short week, it's been long, and I'm very happy to see it come to an end -- especially the unseasonably hot weather we had earlier in the week. We had rain on and off yesterday, and this morning it's about 30 degrees cooler than it was. I'm looking forward to getting out for my walk this morning and not breaking out into a sweat in the first few minutes.

Somewhere along the way I seem to have a developed a reputation for being a knitter with a certain amount of expertise, and while I am happy to claim that reputation so far as it refers to my years of experience and experience with different knitting techniques, I want to dispel the idea that experienced knitters are perfect in any way or are somehow immune to making mistakes. I've been knitting for more than three decades and have done many things, but I can still be tripped up by very simple things -- like reading directions carefully.

Last night I sat down to work on the right front of my brother's sweater. I've gotten to the pocket portion, where the knitting is divided into two strips to create a vertical slit and then joined again to close it, and I was ready to work up the narrower strip. As I joined the yarn and started the first row, though, I realized that something was off because I had an extra stitch. Do you know why? Because I had put the wrong number of stitches on waste yarn -- meaning that one of those stitches was meant to be included in the panel I'd just finished knitting. And as it was meant to be along the edge of that panel, there was no way to fix it. So that meant unraveling, and here's where things stand now:


I know a less-experienced knitter would have been really upset about a mistake like this. But my years of knitting have taught me that sometimes this is the way knitting goes -- and the same could be said for life. We make mistakes, we recognize them, and then we go back and fix them if we can.

I hope you have the best weekend available to you, and with any luck, I will have a Spinning Sunday update!

6 comments:

  1. Knitting can be a good metaphor for life (except it's often a lot easier to rip back and fix a knitting mistake)! Wishing you a good weekend (with lots of correct counting).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true and definitely a great way to compare it to life. Enjoy your weekend 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only the mistakes we make in life were as easy to fix!

      Delete
  3. Yes, if only our mistakes in life were as easy to fix! Hope your counting is spot on right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knitting as a metaphor for life is truly perfect. And yes, if only some of my life mistakes were as easily fixed by a bit of ripping out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the spirit! My sewing teacher back in middle school had a stitched sampler on her wall that said, "So shall you sew, so shall you rip." I think of it often -- and every single time I have to rip anything back. XO

    ReplyDelete