Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Unraveled, Week 26/2022

Oh friends, it has been A Week. And it's only Wednesday! On Monday night, the Mister was coughing and getting stuffed up, and when he woke up yesterday, he was completely congested. So he took a home COVID test -- and I think you probably already know that it was positive. I took a home test and it came back negative, but knowing that these tests are less reliable, I also went to get a PCR test yesterday afternoon. I've of course been convinced that I have it, too, because I always assume the worst and always physically feel my anxiety, but this morning I got a negative result! So it seems all my "symptoms" have just been psychosomatic. On top of all this, last night was the annual meeting for our synagogue at which the election of new trustees and officers occurred. The meeting was held via Zoom in order to allow those who could not be at an in-person meeting (either because of COVID concerns, mobility issues, or because they're out of town or live elsewhere), and there were issues with technology from the start in addition to a lot of very angry congregants determined to disrupt the proceedings. The technology issues were resolved, and after three and a half hours, the full slate of nominees had been elected. So I am now secretary of the board!

So I'm starting the day with some good news, but I am tired and obviously still worried about the Mister and potentially catching the plague, but we're all isolating in our own rooms and wearing high-quality masks around each other. I am hopeful that if I didn't catch COVID from him from sleeping in the same bed with his breath in my face all night, I can avoid it now. He'll be isolated through the weekend, at least, so it'll be a quiet rest of the week for us -- and I'm just fine with that!

Because it's Wednesday, that means it's time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers and to talk about what I've been making and reading. 

In the last several days, I've been almost singularly focused on the sock pattern I'm test knitting. I know that my brother's sweater has a deadline, but so does this, and as I only have to finish one sock for the test, I figured I could focus on it for a few days to knock it out. Yesterday it got a lot of attention, including during that marathon Zoom meeting last night, so it's unsurprising that I have about an inch of foot left to knit before the toe. I expect that it'll be easy to finish this sock up today.


The stitch pattern is really beautiful, but it's also very involved -- there are multiple 1x1 cable crossings on every round -- and I've had a few issues with my needles splitting the yarn, so the patterned part of this sock has been slower for me. But I think it's worth it.

Once the sock is done, I will turn back to my brother's sweater and give it my undivided attention until it's done. I'm currently at a rather fun part of it -- the pocket linings!


The pattern advises that the linings be knit at this point, before any seaming, so that only one piece of the sweater has to be handled while knitting it -- very smart! I know it looks a bit like blue lips on the side of the piece of knitting, but when it's done, it'll be pushed inside the slit and will look normal.

I have only finished one book this week, but it was a long one and a good one (and, coincidentally, also the same book Kat finished)!

I received a digital ARC of Ian McEwan's forthcoming Lessons via NetGalley and Knopf in return for an honest review. This was my fourth McEwan novel, and while I have always found something in each of his books that makes me feel uncomfortable, the writing is always superb. The fact that this was an ARC made it hard to tell how long it was when I started (it would only tell me the "position" I was in rather than a page number), but I very quickly discovered that it was a long book. And that makes sense, given that it spans the early '60s to present day. We are along for much of the life of the main character, Roland Baines, and see how so much in his life is influenced by a sexual relationship with his much-older piano teacher when he was a teenager. I know that sounds disturbing, but it's only part of his story, and the book is really so beautifully written, with such vivid, complex characters. I frequently found myself getting lost in it. I gave it 4 stars.

I've done much more knitting and TV watching in the last couple of days than reading, but I'm hoping now that my anxiety is abating I can focus on Tears of Amber, which I am nearly halfway through and really enjoying.

What are you making and reading this week?


10 comments:

  1. Oh no! I am so sorry for your dear husband! I hope the rest of you remain well!

    Those pockets! Too cute, Sarah! :)

    And I really enjoyed Lessons. McEwan surely makes a reader think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh! Hope your hubby is feeling much, much better and that you and Rainbow stay clear of the "plague" as you put it (great choice of a word). And, congratulations on being voted in as secretary of your Synagogue's board (I guess congratulations??). LOVE the pocket linings for your brother's sweater and that sock pattern is just so pretty (looks complicated though).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that your husband has covid, and I hope his symptoms clear quickly without lingering. I really hope that you and Rainbow don't get it and that you can all return to living together without masks! But congratulations on being elected Secretary of the Board and your beautiful sock and sweater. Hopefully, your quiet week will allow you plenty of crafting time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear that your husband has Covid! My sister has just gotten over her own bout with the plague . . . and perhaps this will make you feel better -- her husband never got it! I'm sending healing juju your way. The sock is just lovely, but does look quite complicated! And congratulations to you, Madame Secretary! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend of mine had Covid from traveling with her husband who never did get it and never would isolate from her. Fingers crossed you'll stay well. Your new job sounds like a lot of work but rewarding, as well. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's EVERYONE now, is that possible?? Philipp has tested positive as well, and we're pretty sure he got it during his last week of school (he was one of three or four people who wore a mask in a crowd of approximately a hundred. He is mostly tired with little symptoms and I am still negative, too but ... MAN. I know exactly what it feels like. All the best to the Mister, I hope he will have it mildly (it's so good you' are vaccinated!!) and I hope you will not catch it at all!

    The sock is so beautiful. I already admired the finish pattern on instagram and WOW! It looks fantastic. No wonder you are having a grand time knitting it! (As for reading, I am trying Moby Dick for the umpteenth time)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My best to you and your family as you deal with Covid. My husband had it awhile back but I never did test positive. I hope he has a mild case and you are all back to enjoying the summer soon. The sock is beautiful but oh my what a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, congratulations Madame Secretary! And I'm relieved to hear that you're testing negative. I hope it stays that way. I'm so sorry that the Mister is sick -- I'm hoping that he has a speedy recovery and there's no lingering symptoms.

    That sock is so pretty -- it looks like it's going to be worth all of the attention because wow! The details are lovely.

    The only McEwan I've read is Atonement, which I loved. I remember picking up a random book of his in a bookstore at least a decade ago, reading a few paragraphs, and quickly putting it away. Yikes! I think it was probably one of the uncomfortable scenes you described in your post, ha. But I think I should try more by him despite the discomfort.

    I saw that you were reading the SofĂ­a Segovia!! Happy to hear that you're enjoying it. I'm going to try to read it this summer.

    Enjoy the rest of your week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. After I tested positi ve for COVID a few weeks ago (very, very mild case -- scratchy voice and fatigue, no fever) my husband tested negative, even though we never isolated from each other. All the best to your DH, hoping his is as mild as mine was. Also, Ian McEwan is one of my favorite authors. As you said, no matter the subject, the writing is always superb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had the same experience when my daughter had it earlier in the year. But in her case, she wasn't feeling sick, and we only found out she had it because her school asked everyone to test after going back following winter break. By that time I'd been around her for many days, so it didn't seem like isolating would have done anything at that point.

    ReplyDelete