Pages

Monday, July 11, 2022

Can I Get Another?

Another weekend, that is -- this one went by way too quickly! After last weekend, when I was busy cleaning and cooking and doing all sorts of things, I really wanted to have the weekend off. Alas, that was not to be. Saturday involved cleaning and a lot of laundry (five loads!), and yesterday had three Zooms. Two of those Zooms were knitting related, but that's a lot of time spent in front of the computer.

On the plus side, I did manage to finish up my first finished skein of the Tour de Fleece -- finally!


This is Southern Cross Fibre 50% superfine New Zealand Merino/50% silk that I spun end to end and chain-plied. I wish you could see this in person to get a sense for how much drape it has! I was skeining it up while I was on my first Zoom of the day yesterday, and Mary asked me how much yardage I expected it would have after it was washed. I explained that while my Super Skeiner makes a two-yard skein, yarn usually shrinks up after it's finished, both because I wind it under tension and because the twist in the wool reactivates when it's washed. I conservatively estimated that my skein would measure 60 inches around once dry -- but it's actually closer to 66, so I have nearly 540 yards in this skein!


It's most definitely a light fingering, and the shine on it is really amazing. Don't ask me what I'll use this skein for -- I have no idea!

Meanwhile, I've continued to work on the sweater sleeves and have just joined a second skein of yarn to each. I have three more sets of increases to work.


It's very likely that I won't finish the whole sweater by my brother's birthday -- there's still quite a lot of knitting and finishing to do, and I have only about a week left -- but I don't think he will mind one bit if I  give him a sweater in progress as his gift. He's certainly not going to be wearing it anytime soon!

I did have to pause this knitting briefly yesterday when I had MacGuyver a way to keep my Fitbit in action after the connector to the wristband completely broke off yesterday. I ordered a new one, but it won't be here until later in the week and I want to keep my step streak alive. Knitting to the rescue!


I used some unknown yarn from my scrap bag and knit a cuff that comfortably covers the tracker. I figure if it gets gross from exercising in it, I can just toss it when I'm done. But so far, so good!

How was your weekend?

10 comments:

  1. Your handpsun is really beautiful! And since we're several months away from sweater weather, your brother will probably be just fine with his sweater being completed after his birthday. The added anticipation will make it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That yarn is so pretty, like a breath of spring! Our weekend was busy but lots of fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you good sweater finishing juju but also agree that he won't be needing to wear it so I'm sure he won't mind receiving sweater parts for his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your skein is gorgeous...and I love your emergency knit solution!! Well done! Clever.
    I had to read that twice, though--5 loads of laundry!! Would you believe I'm a tad envious? We still don't have our washer/dryer...supposedly, tomorrow. And I'm fantasizing about all the clean laundry I'll have without dropping quarters in a slot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent MacGuyver-ing! Knitting can come in handy in unexpected ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That skein is so pretty - I love those greens! 540 yards of a beautiful silk/merino blend. Hmm... A small-ish shawl or scarf by Anne Hanson would be my first place to look, I think!

    If I could grant you an extra weekend, I would. I'm sorry it wasn't full of what you wanted it to be, but alas. Sometimes it's just not meant to be. Good luck with your brother's sweater. You're right - he won't be disappointed if you don't finish it in time. But knowing you, you might just pull a finished garment out of your hat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful spinning, Sarah! :-) And I've been chuckling over your FitBitCuff since I saw it on IG yesterday. VERY clever! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful spinning, Sarah! I love those colors, it really is a stunning skein! And I too have been chuckling at your ingenious FitBitCuff! Too brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love that yarn ... the sheen and the drape and the colors - it's really stunning! and all those cables on those sleeves kind of make me dizzy to look at them - I cannot imagine knitting them (yikes)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful skein of yarn. After admiring and letting it sit awhile, I imagine you will know what to make with the yarn. The FitBit Cuff is a great fix.

    ReplyDelete