Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Unraveled, Week 28/2022

Happy Wednesday, friends! It's been a long week already, even though we're not officially halfway through it. I am looking forward to the week off I am taking at the end of the month, not that I will be going anywhere -- I've taken so little time off from work because I've been working from home that I had hit my limit of accrued vacation time and needed to take some of it or I couldn't earn anymore!

As per usual on Wednesdays, I'm linking up with Kat and the Unravelers today to talk about what I'm making and what I'm reading.


Surprise, surprise -- I'm still knitting sleeves. My brother's birthday is next Tuesday, and it's now looking unlikely that I'll be completely done by then. I did finish the increases on the sleeves (the orange marker on the sleeve on the right above shows where that happened) and the pattern calls for working another two inches straight before starting the sleeve cap shaping, but there's an important note in that instruction: work two more inches or to total length desired under the arm. I double-checked the measurements my sister-in-law took for me using one of my brother's store-bought sweaters, and it's a good thing, because he needs more length than another two inches. His total length from the underarm is 19.5 inches. Right now, I'm at about 16. So I still have a bit of knitting to do. And I have to say that I'm feeling much less stressed about this project since I told myself that it's no big deal if it's not done by next Tuesday -- after all, my brother isn't expecting it, and even if he was, he won't be wearing it anytime soon!

I started a new spinning project last night for Tour de Fleece using a set of mini batts from HipStrings. I have no clue what's in them, so this is going to be a very fun spin!


Reading has been slower this week, unsurprisingly, so I've only finished one book. But it was a good one!


The Painted Drum
is the next book we're discussing for the Erdrich-along, and it is a bit different from the previous books we've discussed. In this book, we learn the origin story of Fleur Pillager, one of the central characters in many of the previous books we've discussed, but she's really a minor character in this one, as she's only in one part of the book and is a baby for that part. But this book is classic Erdrich -- gorgeous, complex writing that requires the reader to slow down and fully appreciate it. There is tragedy in this book, but out of that tragedy we get a beautiful story of sacrifice and healing that provides a fuller appreciation of Indigenous customs and ritual objects. I gave it 4 stars.


I finished the book yesterday evening, so I've only just started my next book, The Cartographers. I'm only a chapter in, but I can tell that it's going to be a lighter read, which is just fine with me.

What are you making and reading this week?

10 comments:

  1. It's often freeing to give yourself permission to not do something! It seems much better to take your time, enjoy the process of knitting your brother's sweater, and not worry about a deadline. Nobody needs a sweater in July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your brother's sweater is going to be incredible! Bonny is right... no sweaters in July (or August, for that matter!)

    It will be done in plenty of time for the return of chilly weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreeing with Bonny and Kat - no need to rush. Enjoy the process (and a good thing you checked measurements and know that your brother's sleeves need to be a bit longer!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lucky brother, no matter the timing on that special gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cartographers is a lighter read, but it was one I absolutely couldn't put down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever state the sweater is in, your brother will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm breathing a sigh of relief you're almost done with the cables (although sleeve-cap shaping in pattern doesn't sound like fun) ... Your brother is going to have a sweater before he needs it, I'm sure, and that is quite the gift! I started research for The Painted Drum bookclub kit this morning - so many things to discuss ... and I think mother-daughter relationships could take up all our time (but I promise not to let it!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you've given yourself some breathing room with the sweater and aren't stressing about adding length to those sleeves. It will get done! That new spin is very pretty too :)

    I started The Painted Drum on Tuesday but haven't gotten very far. I am so tempted to just close the door to my bedroom and ignore everything so that I can read!! Of course - can't do that. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to experiencing it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your brother will be thrilled with his sweater-in-pieces. And when it's actually all finished and ready to wear, it will be like he's getting a SECOND birthday present! :-) I started reading The Cartographers, but set it aside. I'll look forward to hearing what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your brother certainly will not be wearing a sweater any time soon. I think it's always good to spread out the birthday celebration. I loved The Painted Drum and was sorry to miss the discussion. I love Erdrich's layered approach to writing.

    ReplyDelete