Pages

Monday, October 03, 2022

Forced Rejuvenation

Happy Monday! I am coming off a very restful weekend thanks to the remnants of Hurricane Ian making their way to us. It rained for about 3/4 of the weekend, and it was chilly on top of it, so I found myself inside for much of it -- not that I much minded! We all needed some extra sleep and got it thanks to cloudy weather to start both days.

I took advantage of the time indoors to wind yarn for and cast on two new projects. First, a tiny sweater for my new nephew, who is due to arrive next month:


This is the Newborn Vertebrae (Ravelry link), a pattern I've knit several times before, and as you can see, it knits up very quickly. I cast on Saturday and by last night I had knit almost the entire body. As with the previous times I've knit this pattern as a baby gift, I'll be making a hat to match. Someone on Ravelry commented that the colors of the yarn (Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce in the colorway Galaxy Cocktail) look like the colors of Buzz Lightyear, so I may try to find a Buzz onesie or outfit to go with it.

I also started a new pair of socks that will be for me and will also serve as a sample for the pattern I'm writing up for the simultaneous heel flap and gusset method I used in the last pair I knit. I received so many questions about this heel that I thought it made sense to write up the instructions in a pattern (and it will be written toe up as well as cuff down).


The yarn is also FDW Bounce, in a colorway that was the prize for participating in Lisa's Monthly Makes program back in 2019. I really love how there's a variegated stripe in between the other bright colors (can you tell that the gloom this weekend was having an influence on my yarn choices?). Ideally I'd like to have these done on the early side this month so I can get the pattern out before the end of the month, what with it being "Socktober."

I have not started spinning just yet, but I did split up my fiber for my combo spin late on Friday afternoon. I split each length of fiber into fourths horizontally and then split each quarter into four vertical strips. So now I have three bags of little bundles of fiber ready to spin:


I expect spinning will get started very soon and I'll have some in-progress photos to share later this week.

I will be back with another post as usual on Wednesday, but I'll be writing it ahead of time because Wednesday is Yom Kippur and I'll be fasting, so please bear with me if my commenting and responses to comments are a little delayed! I hope you all have a good start to your week.

9 comments:

  1. What wonderful stripe-y knits you've got going there, Sarah! Really GREAT colors -- for the tiny sweater AND for your new socks. I wish you a good week. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the cutest sweater, Sarah! I hope you can find the Buzz Lightyear attire to accompany it! :)

    And thank you for sharing how you did your combo split! I want to try that and you have given me some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had the same rainy, chilly weekend but that's okay because we still need the rain and I got to stay inside and read and knit. Your striped projects are really nice and your combo spin fiber is decidedly fall-like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such colorful knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sweater is so cute and I love the color of the stripes! And your sock colors are also terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buzz Lightyear is such a great colorway! and best wishes for an easy fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. delighted you're writing up that sock pattern!

      Delete
  7. G'mar chatima tova! I hope your day is sweet and relaxing. And I'm always late when it comes to commenting and replying, so no need to worry!

    That Newborn Vertibrae is so much fun. I made one for Bronwyn and she practically lived in it and her cloth diapers for her first few months. It's perfect for skin to skin. I'm also excited about your new sock pattern and can't wait to try it - your sample is going to be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy that you are writing up that sock pattern. I love the bright yarn choices. I'm intrigued by the way you split up fiber for the next spin.

    ReplyDelete