Pages

Friday, October 21, 2022

How Many Projects Is Too Many?

Happy Friday, friends! I have taken the day off from work, but it's going to be a busy day anyway. Rainbow is done with school at 11 this morning (it's the last day of her standardized testing), and I'm going to attempt to squeeze in a run and a shower before I have to pick her up. The Mister is working from home this morning so that after lunch the three of us can drive out to a local farm/orchard to pick up a pumpkin, apples, and fall treats. We have to be back by 3 so he can attend a meeting, and I'm going to do some cleaning and laundry that I'd normally do over the weekend because Rainbow and I will be spending the weekend at my brother and sister-in-law's to puppysit while they're away. Despite the fact that they live only about a mile from us and we could conceivably go back and forth from their house to ours, I feel a bit like I need to pack All The Things to take with us. We're likely going to be doing a lot of sitting around watching TV and crafting, so of course I am agonizing over what knitting to take -- again, even though if I ran out of stuff to work on, I could swing by our house at any point. It's silly, really, but this is how my brain works!

I'm on the foot of my sock and will be working on it in the car today, so I expect it'll be done very soon. Yesterday I wound up a set of mini skeins that I'm planning to use for a new design sample -- a cowl version of the hat I finished last week, with some minor modifications. The set (which I bought from Murky Depths Dyeworks back in 2020 during what would have been Rhinebeck weekend) has a three-skein gradient in gray along with a saturated blue and deep pink. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen my post yesterday, in which I asked for opinions on which order to use the skeins in. These were the four options:


I think I've settled on the bottom right; it seems to be the choice of most people who've voted their opinion on IG, and it was also the arrangement I originally thought to use, but then I second-guessed myself.

I will likely also be taking some fingering weight leftovers to make some scrappy charity hats (holding two or three strands together), and I'm toying with the idea of taking yarn to start a new sweater. But we will only be "away" for two days, and there will be time spent walking the dog, eating, reading, and sleeping. How much knitting can I really get done? Be sure to stop back here on Monday to find out.

Hope you have a lovely weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Packing All The Knitting seems to be the default whether we are going on a cross-country trip or just a mile away! But a knitter is always prepared and it sounds like you have a fun weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a lovely weekend as well. I think you couldn't go wrong with any of those combos, but the bottom right was the one I picked. LOL Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Packing All The Crochet is definitely what I do when I go away, the angst of choosing what to bring is real! Have a great time "away"!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color combo you chose! And I'm sure you brought enough yarn with you to keep yourself busy - one must always be prepared! I hope you enjoyed your time at the orchard on Friday, the time with the dog this weekend, and the time away from your house!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still see those grays as blue :-) and think you've chosen a fine order (honestly, ALL of them would be fine!) There is no such thing as "too many knitting projects". I hope you found time to work on all the things you wanted to this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Never too many projects. Like Mary, I see the lighter grays as blue. But whatever, the colors are certainly lovely together. Hope your weekend was a lovely one dog sitting, spending time with Rainbow and just hanging out!

    ReplyDelete