Pages

Monday, October 17, 2022

Savoring the Color

In a "normal" year (whatever that is), I'd be in a car coming back from Rhinebeck today. But obviously I didn't go to Rhinebeck this year, and as much as I missed it, I don't regret the decision to skip it. I certainly didn't need to buy any yarn or fiber, but I was sad to miss out on seeing friends and seeing all the knitwear. The trees in my neighborhood decided to cheer me up by putting out their best color, and we had gorgeous blue skies both days.


I didn't do a lot of sitting around this weekend, in part because I spent time outside to enjoy the beautiful weather while it lasted, but I did manage to find time to finish up the hat I started last week:


Because this was knit top down, I was able to try it on as I went, and it seemed long enough once I finished up the last round of orange, so I finished it off with the blue. I haven't yet blocked it (which is why it looks a little wonky still), but I'm very happy with it, and it's been added to the pile of charity hats. I'm really pleased with the stitch pattern, too, so expect to see it again! I have my eye on a set of mini skeins in my stash that I think will work perfectly with the pattern in a cowl.

I'm still working on the mate to my latest sock, and I've got a draft of the pattern written up (I'm just waiting to hear back from my tech editor to make sure she's available before I put the layout together). And I also finally started my combo spin yesterday, using a mix of three colorways from Southern Cross Fibre:


 

This will be an interesting week here. Rainbow has standardized testing at school starting on Wednesday, and she's done at noon Wednesday and Thursday and at 11 a.m. on Friday. I decided to take Friday off so we can hang out, and provided the weather holds out, we're planning to make a trip out to a local farm to pick up apples, a pumpkin, and maybe some other fall goodies (thanks for the nudge to do that, Kym!).

I've got an alarm set for this afternoon for the Booker Prize announcement. Will you be tuning in? What's your choice to win?

10 comments:

  1. The hat is beautiful. That blue is stunning!

    Have fun on Friday. The weather lately has been perfect for pumpkin picking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the colors...on the trees AND off your needles! Sounds like good stuff to look forward to this week. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color of that tree against the blue sky and I love how your hat picks up those colors! Most of the trees here are nearing peak color and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great hat and it goes perfectly with your gorgeous tree in full foliage splendor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:26 PM

    Very pretty hat! And may Friday come quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got to enjoy some Rhinebeck vibes in your own neighborhood. I hope you and Rainbow have fun on Friday and thanks for the reminder about the Booker prize. I don't have any predictions but I'm anxious to hear the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous tree, Sarah! Those red leaves against the bright blue sky . . . just stunning. :-) I'm so glad you and Rainbow are going to have some fall fun this week. I love your hat design. It's fun to think about the color combinations for that design. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colors here have been pretty stellar as well! Good luck to Rainbow with her testing and what fun plans for Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That hat matches the fall colors in your photo. What a gorgeous tree against that blue sky. I hope Friday was a fun day.

    ReplyDelete