Pages

Friday, May 26, 2023

An FO and a New Start

After another long week, I was delighted to wake up this morning and realize that it was finally Friday. Mo had her final exams the last two days, which meant a disruption to the usual routine because she was done with school at 11 a.m. both days, but today it's back to the normal schedule -- though it's all fun for her at school today. They're going to see The Little Mermaid and then having a pizza party for lunch, followed by a performance of the lower school's musical. Youth is truly wasted on the young, am I right? Fortunately I also get to have a nice start to the holiday weekend because my office is closing at 2 p.m. Our new "big boss" only just started last week, but it seems she's already aware of the office tradition of closing early on the Friday before a holiday weekend.

As promised, I have an FO to share -- one you didn't even see as a WIP because it came together so fast!

Pattern: Rain on Notre Dame (Ravelry link) by Sarah Schira, neckwarmer size
Yarn: my handspun, approximately 127 yards
Needles: US 4 (3.5 mm)
Started/Completed: May 21/May 23

This was another project knit primarily for the SSK knitalong, but I've been wanting to knit this pattern for a while. There are two lengths given in the pattern, the closer-fitting size that I did and a longer version that can be looped around the neck several times. It's also designed for worsted weight yarn, but my yarn was more in the fingering to sport neighborhood, so I adjusted my needle size accordingly. Fresh off the needles, it was fairly close fitting, but I blocked it by placing a rolled-up towel inside to both stretch it out and prevent it from having fold lines while drying. Now it has some lovely drape.

True to my prediction, I have started another two-ply fractal spin. I found what is now the oldest Southern Cross fiber in my stash -- Peaceful Shores on Bond from March 2020:

and I split it up:


I was intending to split the one half into four strips like the last spin, but the fiber naturally divided itself into thirds, so I went with it. I have started spinning the singles but haven't gotten very far, so I'll wait to share an in-progress photo until there's something to actually show.

Really what I've been focused on the past couple of days is my Shoulder Season, which is finally looking like a sweater!


Yesterday I finished the two front panels on either side of the neck opening and just joined them, so now I have about 36 rows to knit on the front before I join the front and back and start working in the round on the body.

We have a fairly quiet holiday long weekend ahead. We are having our families over for dinner on Sunday but otherwise have no plans. I'm hoping to spend some extra time outside, weather permitting, and fit in some more reading time. I hope your weekend includes some relaxation time!

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like a perfect approach to a long holiday weekend! And so glad your new Big Boss got the 'early Friday' memo :)
    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers to a long weekend and an early start to it (I'm still hoping my 1 p.m. conference call will be cancelled...but so far no luck...). Love your cowl and what a great idea to use a rolled up towel in it when blocking (I hope I can remember to do that!). Have fun spinning - very pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty projects, Sarah. The neckwarmer looks like a fun little knit (with great results), your new sweater looks very promising, and - as always - I can't wait to see what you spin up with that lovely fiber. Enjoy a relaxing weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for the New Boss carrying on a good tradition, and I hope your weekend is good. That is an interesting cowl and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Shoulder Season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, can't wait to see that fiber spin up! I'm so ready for a long weekend, glad you're getting out of work early!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'm totally jealous that Mo is seeing The Little Mermaid today! Beautiful neck warmer and I know your spinning will be wonderful. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cowl is so pretty and the sweater is coming along. How nice that your new boss is onto the traditional of closing early before a holiday. I hope that bodes well for her time as an administrator. I look forward to seeing another beautiful spinning project.

    ReplyDelete