Pages

Monday, May 08, 2023

Only a Little FOMO

This weekend spring finally returned to Pittsburgh. After a string of cold and rainy days, the sun came out Saturday morning, making for a thoroughly enjoyable walk and then some time in the garden. Of course, the weather was also beautiful in Maryland for the 50th annual Maryland Sheep and Wool festival. Rainbow and I had briefly talked about going, but given my sister-in-law's due date, we decided to stay home (but we do intend to go next year!). I have not been to MDSW since 2019, and I do miss it. It was the first big fiber festival I ever went to, and a lot of people I know were there. I had to make do with seeing the photos and videos people were posting on Instagram, and in the grand scheme of things, it's probably better for my wallet and the size of my stash that I didn't go!

Instead of enhancing my stash, I spent some of the weekend reducing my stash. I worked on my sister-in-law's Mother's Day socks (which will definitely be finished in time -- I'm just about ready to start the heel of the second sock):


And I spun up a bobbin of singles from my second-oldest Southern Cross Fibre club shipment (Dahlia on Merino/silk from March 2020):


At some point today, I hope to wind these off on my ball winder so I can ply from both ends. It's a good thing I spun these singles so quickly, because I got what those of us in the SCF club refer to as "a pillow" from David on Saturday, containing these beauties:


The blue colorway on the left is the latest club shipment, a Merino/Corriedale cross wool in the colorway Bali. The other two semisolids are South African Superfine wool (so soft!) that were a prize. David has started awarding prizes to two people every month among those who post in a thread in his Ravelry group as a way of encouraging people to share what they're spinning, and in April, I was one of the lucky winners! I was excited to win, although getting three bags of fiber in the mail doesn't really help in my efforts to spin down my SCF stash. I really enjoyed spinning up the latest singles a little thicker than my default, though, so I think I may do several spins like that and get through several bags quickly.

Today it's back to the grind, though I'm hoping work will be less hectic than it was last week. Rainbow's school play (for which she is co-stage manager) is this Wednesday and Thursday, so she'll be at school late for rehearsals today and tomorrow and then late for the performances. I expect that means I'll be dealing with a grumpy for much of the week -- though if I'm honest, that's not that unusual! I hope Monday is kind to you and brings you all the coffee you need to get your week started off well.

12 comments:

  1. I love the colors in you SIL's socks.

    Congrats on the fiber win. I have had Corriedale AND Superfine yarn and they are so nice to knit up. Hope they are fun to spin too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your socks are coming along quickly, and with all that SCF fiber, you hardly need MDS&W. (But yarn and fiber are rarely about need!) That blue fiber should produce some lovely yarn. I hope people in your house are not too grumpy this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That new spinning is very pretty. And yes to as much coffee as we need to get this week going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, those Dahlia singles are gorgeous! Can't wait to see how it plies up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely spinning... and what great luck for you on that "pillow" of fluff! The Sock Mojo is strong here as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the stripes in those socks, Sarah. Both the color combo and the stripe sequencing. Very nice! Good luck with your "grumpy." XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love that red! and the new fiber looks very pillow-y (what a great name!) Best wishes for Rainbow and the performance, and for y'all! break a leg!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The socks look perfect for a new Mom on Mother's Day, very springlike colors. I hope Rainbow's play goes off without a hitch. As always, your spinning is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful two days to catch up on! Oh my goodness. If the baby and pup had not been featured, I'd have said that gnome hat was *THE* cutest thing. (But, of course, it will have to be second-cutest! Because those sweethearts!!) And how exciting for Rainbow! What play are they doing? (My oldest loved being a part of the stage crew.)
    More congrats all around to your whole family. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope all is going well for Rainbow and the play and that she is not too grumpy (it's an age thing if I remember). The socks for your SIL are wonderful - love the colors in them. I've been to MDSW twice and that was enough for me! Far too many peoplel and far too much traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still loving those socks! And I hope that Rainbow has managed tech week okay, it was always exhausting for Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those socks! I hope Rainbow's play went well last night and that your week has been much slower!

    ReplyDelete