Pages

Friday, May 05, 2023

In Which I Knit Small Things

I'm always happy when Friday rolls around, but I'm extra happy to see it today -- it's been A Week, friends! I am hoping today can be a quieter day and I can actually get some things done around the house without being tied to the computer.

Given how busy I have been this week, it feels appropriate that all the knitting I've accomplished has been in the form of small things. First, the impossibly cute gnome hat -- so cute that I almost didn't mind having to weave in eight(!) ends:


Pattern: Go Big or Go Gnome Hat by Sarah Schirra, smallest size
Yarn: Fibernymph Dye Works Ridgetop Fingering (gray), 60 yards; MollyGirl Honky Tonk Lite (blue), 9 yards; and Neighborhood Fiber Co. Rustic Fingering (red), 28.5 yards
Needles: US 1 (2.25 mm) and US 2 (2.75 mm)
Started/Completed: May 2/May 3
Mods: Adjusted needle size to maintain gauge

I had bought this pattern several years ago because my brother is such a gnome fanatic, and I figured I'd make him a hat one day. But I think we can all agree that it's even more adorable in a tiny baby size. I think it might be a tad big on my nephew right now, but I know that his parents aren't going to mind. I amazingly found scraps in appropriate colors in my scrap bag. Of course, the weather forecast predictably improved as soon as I finished this hat, so my nephew may not even get a chance to wear it before he outgrows it! Not that I really care -- it's fun to knit tiny things!

My brother reports that although they're all exhausted, they are settling in well. Their dog is very interested in the baby and seems worried when he cries. He sent me these photos yesterday:


I suspect they're going to be best buddies.

In other small items, I have finished the first of my sister-in-law's Mother's Day socks and started the second:

And then I started another small project at the request of the Mister, who asked me to make a baby hat for a coworker. I cast this on yesterday and finished it up this morning, just a basic rolled-brim beanie that I added a three-dimensional leaf to (and obviously have not yet woven the ends in on):


This weekend we're planning to enjoy some much-needed nice weather and will likely watch some of the marathon runners on Sunday morning. I hope you have some sunshine in the forecast, too!

11 comments:

  1. Love the baby and dog photos- it’s going to so much fun to have this new little person in your lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh ..............baby photos that are just too cute. Pup seems a little confused like ---- is THAT your puppy???? Where is his fur???

    The new little baby hat is very cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby hats are adorable as is the baby himself (and the dog is pretty cute, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That gnome hat is so adorable! And the other one is, too. The colors of those socks are beautiful. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh the cuteness! I do love knitting things for babies ... and those photos of your nephew warm my heart. Best buddies for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What darling hats. It is fun to knit for babies. The colors in that sock look so springlike. What a pretty sock. Enjoy the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hats are adorable! And the baby and dog will definitely be best friends. I see lots and lots of dog&baby photos and videos on Instagram. Also adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the baby and the dog are going to be best of friends once the dog adjusts to the new sounds and smells.

      Delete
  8. Both baby hats are adorable Sarah. Well done you! The photos of your new nephew and the dog are just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That gnome hat is the ultimate baby hat, Sarah! So very fun! Considering your week, you got a lot of "tiny" knitting done. Good for you! And I just love the photos of the dog getting to know his new buddy. XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't worry too much about the gnome hat not being used. My little guy was born at the end of May in a very hot year and we still had a solid handful of days before the end of June when a hat was needed outside. No hair + cool breeze = hat on the baby.

    He's absolutely lovely - congratulations to his whole lucky family!

    ReplyDelete