Pages

Monday, May 01, 2023

Soggy but Satisfied

Monday again. How are you, friends? It's May 1, but spring seems to have disappeared here; the current wind chill is 30F and they're talking about snow overnight (Garrett County, Maryland, is predicted to get 2-4 inches!). We had rain and gloom on and off all weekend, which wasn't so good for getting outside but did make for excellent weather for staying inside and crafting.

Saturday was both Local Yarn Store Day and Independent Bookstore Day, and I convinced Rainbow to go on a little outing with me to one of both. First we went to Yarns by Design, a shop I have not been to since before she was born and before it moved into its current location. I knew she wanted to go there because she received a gift card there as a bat mitzvah gift, and in fact she was the one who made the only purchases! Then we went to our favorite local bookstore, White Whale, where we picked up some titles for ourselves as well as a couple for my new nephew (not shown).


Yesterday we had some friends over for brunch, for which I attempted a new recipe -- this one for "healthy" blueberry muffins, but I made it as a loaf, which meant frequent checks to see if it was done. It was a hit at brunch, and I just had the last of it for breakfast.

My knitting for the weekend was another pair of Side Hustle Cuffs for Rainbow so I could get mine back using a couple skeins of handspun, including one that was very sparkly! I wanted to get these done this weekend so they'd could for the SSK knitalong (Shana was April's featured designer), and I managed to do that. And Rainbow is delighted with them, so that made the rush worth it.


I added a stripe of the contrast color and used traditional wrap-and-turns (wraps-and-turns? what's the correct plural?) rather than the German short rows called for in the pattern, just to see which I liked better. Frankly I can't really tell much of a difference.

My top priority now is the socks for my sister-in-law for Mother's Day -- which she will definitely be celebrating because we got a text from my brother a little bit ago telling us that her water broke last night and she's currently, in his words, halfway dilated and enjoying her epidural! As I told Rainbow, this news definitely makes this Monday a lot better!

7 comments:

  1. This past weekend was chilly and rainy here, but it's good to see that you and Rainbow made the most of it. That muffin/loaf recipe looks delicious, so I will be trying that soon, and those new cuffs look great. If you don't know the correct plural of wrap and turns, I'm not sure who does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! A new little family member. Hope your sister-in-law has an easy delivery and a healthy new babe. Guess you'd better get knitting. That baby is going to need woolen-wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, so happy to be able to comment on your blog today! And socks - I need to get socks back in my needles too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those mitts are great, I love the color combo of the two shades of purple. The news about your SIL is so exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blueberry loaf looks delicious. The mitts are very pretty and the stack of goodies looks like a good Saturday. The news about the new baby on the way is exciting. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That blueberry loaf looks like it belongs in a bakery case! (Or my tummy.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your haul from the weekend. What a delightful way to spend a Saturday! Your blueberry loaf looks perfect - yum! Luckily, no snow here but it has rained every day this week! I'm loving it now that school is back in session and we all have plenty to occupy ourselves!

    ReplyDelete