Pages

Monday, February 05, 2024

A Weekend of Progress

Did anyone else wake up this morning thinking it was Sunday? Just me? All I can say is thank goodness for coffee! I slept pretty well last night, but when my alarm went off this morning, I think I was still in the middle of a dream because I was very confused.

The good news is that it was a good weekend that enabled me to get a lot done, so I don't feel like I needed another day. Saturday morning I took an online class with Roy Clemes of Clemes & Clemes through the Maryland Sheep & Wool Winterfest. It was all about using a drum carder to prep fiber for spinning, something I've long wanted to do better. I bought a drum carder used several years ago and have used it several times but never really figured out how to use it to its full advantage. It was a really useful class and I've got several pages of notes to help me the next time I get my carder out. I also got the cuff of the new sock knit while I was in the class so I was ready to cruise down the leg while we were at My Fair Lady in the afternoon.

The show was quite enjoyable and also productive:

I'm not sure you can really tell in this photo, but the yarn is sparkly, which just takes these neon colors to another level. These are going to be some extremely cheerful socks!

My main focus this weekend was my STRIPES! sweater. I clearly was not paying enough attention to the pattern and had made several mistakes, so after I finished up the sock cuff, I pulled it off the needles and ripped back to the collar to start over. I'm back on track now and have just one more set of increases to do, but for now I'm in the point where I just knit straight until I reach a particular measurement. I'm trying to be good about weaving in ends as I go so that I don't have a million to do at the end.

I also finished up the first bobbin of singles for my current spin, and I'll be working on the next two this week.

I'm hoping it'll be a calm week as far as work is concerned. I've got some reading I really want to do and of course lots of crafting! It's also supposed to be milder and dry most of the week (no rain in the forecast until Friday), so I plan to get some good outdoor workouts in.

11 comments:

  1. That sock! I love it! It is just what our eyes need these days! And nice start on your stripes sweater! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog post was very colorful! All of the projects are so cheerful. Glad you were able to get your sweater back on track without too much angst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sock is stunning, and I find myself wishing I had a pair! I do like the colors you chose for your Stripes sweater and am glad you're back on track. I hope the rest of the week is as good as your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure made up some time after ripping back to the neck! I like your color choices. And the socks..! I can't see the sparkle, but I can imagine it--and what a FUN addition to a wardrobe.
    How was the show?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice that it was such a productive weekend for you! The socks are just so FUN!!! Mo will be so pleased to have them, I'm sure. And your sweater looks great - you sure made up for having to rip back a lot. Mondays can just be so difficult some weeks, can't they? Hope by now you are fully awake and no longer confused. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. My feet are huge and I try not to draw attention to them so I normally go for dark/subdued sock colors but I'm loving your vibrant ones. Nice start to the striped sweater. Sorry you had to re-do it, but looking forward to seeing it's progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. neon sparkles & stripes - your knitting wips are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The socks look so lovely, and yeah they are super colourful! I might need a yarn like that being dangled in front of me on drab mornings so I don't try to turn around and get another wink of sleep. ;)
    The sweater looks very cool! Do you hole the yarn double when you're weaving in ends as you go, or do you do "weaving' Stephen" or simply get to it and weave them in with a needle?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The socks are just delightfully SPRING-y! (I can never understand why "shiny bits" in yarn don't show up in photos . . . ) Here's to a lovely week with plenty of outdoor time, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sock yarn is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that sock yarn! Sparkly + bright are a wonderful combination! I'm glad you're back on track with your sweater and I'm impressed that you didn't feel like the weekend needed to be longer . . . I always feel like the weekend needs to be longer!

    ReplyDelete