Pages

Monday, February 26, 2024

Better in 2024: February

Here we are on the final Monday of February, a month I can always count on to fly by. And while this particular February hasn't gone as I expected (hello, running accident!), it certainly has gone by quickly. Even though it feels like I just revealed my One Little Word for 2024, it's already time to check in with my word for another month. Thanks to Carolyn for hosting our monthly link-ups!

When I chose Better as my OLW, I wasn't thinking about it applying to physical health, but this month, it very much did. Even though I didn't do much to actively get better from my injuries, I've certainly been monitoring my progress. And I've been amazed at how quickly the human body can heal. If you look at my face today, two weeks after my accident, you might not even notice -- what's left of the scrapes and bruises doesn't look all that different from my usual splotchy skin.

That red spot below my eye? That's all that remains of my black eye. And I'm going to be calling the dentist this morning to schedule my appointment to get my tooth fixed (I tried doing that on Friday, but the office was closed).

While the physical healing has been happening, I've also been focused on being better about paying attention while I am out running and walking. It may be mere coincidence, but the stretch of sidewalk where I had my accident was being leveled last week -- I wasn't going to sue the homeowners, but it's possible they realized that the uneven sidewalk was a bit of a hazard after I fell. There are still plenty of places to trip out there, though, so I am taking my time and watching where I step, keeping in mind that while I'm exercising for my long-term health, I also need to be better about looking out for my immediate safety.

Time to get to work. See you back here on Wednesday!

10 comments:

  1. Glad you are getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are healing so quickly, Sarah! And you are so right about becoming more aware of ones surroundings. That is one impactful statement... and it applies to so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you are getting better, and also realizing that awareness is important. I think that will serve you well in the upcoming decades!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are healing and feeling better! And also glad to know that you are being more mindful about where you are walking and running. You've obviously been doing this a long time and I wouldn't want to see you let a freak accident changed your approach to exercise but at the same time it's good to be aware and be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so good to hear -- and see! -- that you're on the fast track to better, post-fall! Your observations are definitely a challenge for me, as I tend to get easily 'absorbed'...which is when I usually step in a hole or divot, misnavigate a curb, etc.
    I'm thrilled to hear the homeowners addressed the uneven sidewalk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Echoing everyone else here...glad (so glad) you are healing well and that you will be mindful of where you place your feet in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always good to take of one's self. Like everyone else, I am glad you are recovering well. Life does take unexpected turns now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The human body is amazing, and I'm so grateful yours is healing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes our words have lessons for us that we never could have imagined (or expected!). I'm so glad you're doing so much BETTER, Sarah. XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad the healing has happened quickly!

    Fun fact - there may be a legal reason the homeowners fixed that sidewalk. If you reported the location of your accident at the hospital, your health insurance likely sought compensation from their homeowner's insurance. This happened to a friend whose daughter broke her arm at a neighbor's house. They were asked the address of injury in the ER and thought nothing of it to answer. They then had some angry neighbors come back to them saying their insurance premiums went up due to my friend's health insurance claiming against the homeowner's insurance. Hopefully your neighbors just saw the need, but really they had a duty to keep safe sidewalks anyway.

    ReplyDelete