Pages

Wednesday, February 07, 2024

Unraveled, Week 6/2024

Good morning and happy Wednesday, friends! I am drinking all the coffee this morning after not sleeping very well last night (someone was snoring and kept me awake). But I'm awake enough to check in with Kat and the Unravelers.

So far this week I've mainly been focused on spinning (and reading!), and I'm hoping to finish my third and final bobbin of singles for this spin today. I actually did all of the second bobbin on Monday, in large part because I was so focused on finishing up a book that I spent most of the day and evening at my wheel. Assuming I finish up this bobbin today, I'll be plying tomorrow.

My STRIPES! doesn't look very different from the last time you saw it, and that's because it isn't. I added a few rounds last night but otherwise haven't given it much attention. I'll give it more love once the spinning project is done.

Reading has been quite good this week. I've finished three books.

After everyone seemed to be reading and talking about it, I gave in to the buzz and borrowed Fourth Wing from the library. I know some of you have read it, and I'm guessing that even if you have no interest, you've seen it in book circles. This is a fantasy romance involving magic and dragons and quite a lot of death. It seemed like a mashup of Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, the Divergent series, and books by Anne McCaffery. Is it fine literature? No, not in the least. Is it entertaining? Very. It's a pretty big book (600+ pages), but it moves fast -- and it ends with a cliffhanger, so yes, I've got the sequel on hold already. If you're thinking of reading it, I'll note that the romance is very open door, so if that's not your thing, you'll probably want to skip this one. I gave it 4 stars.

After finishing The Poisonwood Bible, I decided I wanted to reread a book on my shelf from high school that seemed like it would be a good pairing. July's People was backlist even when I read it 25+ years ago. This short but powerful novel is set in apartheid-era South Africa and imagines an alternate history in which Black South Africans rise up to take control. The white Smales family is forced to flee their home and taken by their servant, July, to safety in his home village. The sudden uprooting and complete reversal of roles causes the Smaleses to examine their supposedly liberal views on race and class. In rereading this book, I was both amazed that I'd read such a difficult book in high school and thankful that I still had my notes from class in my copy. I gave this one 4 stars as well.


The third book I finished this week was The Three Musketeers, which I'd been listening to on CraftLit since last May. I was unexcited by it and gave it 2 stars.

I'm currently reading In Memoriam and am about a quarter of the way through after starting yesterday. I'm sure I'll be starting something else soon, too, because having only one book going at a time has become rare for me.

I hope your Wednesday is off to a good start. What are you making and reading this week?

13 comments:

  1. As always, I'm interested in seeing what your handspun looks like when it's plied. The singles are lovely! I was surprised that I liked Fourth Wing as much as I did, but it was an action-packed story. I couldn't get into Iron Flame but I've probably got plenty of time to read it before the third one comes out. July's People sounds quite interesting and I'm impressed you had your high school notes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice colors for your spinning - they will look great plied together. I started The Poisonwood Bible last night (listening - me!!) and am enjoying it quite a bit. I can't believe you still have notes from high school! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those singles are lovely and I'm sure you'll work on your sweater more soon. I nodding right along with you on your review of Fourth Wing and would also add Game of Thrones as a part of that mash up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The singles are going to make another beautiful yarn. How interesting to find your notes from a high school class in a book. You are a better woman than I for sticking with The Three Musketeers. I have abandoned only two of Heather's books. This one was just not for me. I am enjoying the novel True Biz and knitting on my shawl and sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sweater is going to be pretty. I have been thinking about a blue sweater but since I don’t have any yarn for such a thing, I guess I will have to stick with my pink followed by some orange or grey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you got to reread July’s People with your old notes in it! And from high school, no less.
    Fourth Wing is probably not for me, but in so many ways I know Lincoln would love it. But when Bonnie mentioned the romance in her review….that was a red light. He said, “I don’t mind a little bit. But just a little.” And it’s sounding like it’s more than that!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The spinning looks lovely! I am nodding with Jane... you are indeed a trooper for sticking with The Three Musketeers... I tried eons ago and could not at all get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, lovely spinning, Sarah. I love watching your process/progress as it unfolds. And the sweater looks like such fun -- I'm sure it'll be a quick knit once you have a bit more time. (And Three Musketeers . . . ugh. I was - for a time - a French major in college, and we read it IN FRENCH in my French Lit class. It's a slog in any language, let me tell you.) XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really like the colours of your stripes, my kind of shades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're mine, too, so it was lucky to find a set that suited my tastes so well!

      Delete
  10. Now I want to read the Fourth Wing after your description of it ..l sounds good! I forgot about CraftLit, thank you for the rei minder. Lovely spinning and great progress on your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fourth Wing isn't going to be for everyone, but if you like that type of thing, it's a lot of fun.

      Delete
  11. LOL "Open Door with Dragons" is the perfect description for a book I don't think I want to read! Love the singles and look forward to seeing yarn soon.

    ReplyDelete