Pages

Monday, May 27, 2024

A Day to Recover

Hello, friends. I'm posting a bit later than usual today because I slept in -- which was much needed! We got back yesterday afternoon following a weekend in Chicago with family that was fulfilling but exhausting. We got in midday on Friday, just ahead of a rather dramatic thunderstorm. We didn't have any bat mitzvah-related activity until dinnertime, so the three of us drove into downtown and went to the Art Institute of Chicago for several hours. I really didn't appreciate the size of their collection until we were there, and my art-loving heart was very full at the end! We saw quite a few famous pieces, including a good-sized collection of Monets and a favorite by Pittsburgh native Mary Cassatt (one that I'd actually written about for a paper in college!). I was shocked by the size of "Paris Street; Rainy Day" having only ever seen it in pictures -- it's huge! We didn't fully reenact Ferris Bueller, but we saw some of the same works:

"A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" by Georges Seurat

And there were some hijinks:

"Walking Man II" by Alberto Giacometti


"American Gothic" by Grant Wood

It was not a weekend that allowed much time for knitting, which was just fine. I only took a pair of socks in progress with me and really only worked on them while waiting at the airport and in the car to and from. But I did manage to finish up one sock and start the second, so at least a little progress was made!


These are going to be for my sister-in-law for her birthday, which is not until September, so there's no rush to finish them.

Today is a day for catching up. We have a pile of laundry to do and have to get the house back in order after packing and unpacking. We'll be getting together with family later for dinner and plan to have an early night ahead of the start of the week, Mo's very last week of middle school (sob!). And I will take some time today to think about the reason for the holiday today, those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good time in Chicago, even if it was short and exhausting. Too bad your husband couldn't bring his pitchfork on the plane. I wish Mo (and you) all the best during her last week of middle school. I always felt slightly sad and did lots of remembering around the milestone of finishing a school year.
    It's quite a distance away from Pittsburgh, but if you find yourself in or near Philadelphia between now and September, The Philadelphia Museum of Art has a new exhibit entitled "Mary Cassatt at Work". It sounds interesting and I hope to get there over the summer.

    https://philamuseum.org/calendar/exhibition/mary-cassatt-at-work?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3tCyBhDBARIsAEY0XNm7Ev_D4ATLonK4LrhBCcUJi8ntLUTYKsZHhoq6u3NRcETgKBkiJ0waAnM_EALw_wcB

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fantastic weekend - thank you so much for the photos, you three look great. (Love the picasso reenactment in particular). Mo looks beautiful! Is she sad that Middle School is ending or simply excited for High School?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a nice time and are back home safe and sound. Hoping the catch-up yesterday went well. Colin & Mailing were at the opening of the Cassatt exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art the other weekend (they had orchestra tickets for later and decided to go in town early to catch that exhibit). Colin brought the book from the exhibit home and it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Chicago! So glad you got to take in the Art Institute. I just love that place . . . Did you happen to sneak down to the lower level to look at the miniatures while you were there???? That's my favorite spot in the whole museum (I fell in love with the miniatures when I visited the museum as a little girl).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such fun pictures (and I love Mo's haircut and curls!). Chicago's one of my favorite cities...so glad you had some playtime there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun at the museum (I loved the glimpses I caught on IG!) I do so love Chicago! It is a great place to spend a weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun weekend! I still haven't made it up to the Art Institute yet, but hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures from the Art Institute are terrific, and I'm totally seeing Ferris!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those museum photos are so good, Sarah - how fun! and hope the re-entry was as easy as it could be. All the best to Mo (and you!) for this last week of middle school. High school was a fun experience for me and my girls ... I'm sure you and Mo have much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds as if you made the most of your weekend. I hope Monday was truly a day to recover. I wish Mo a wonderful last week of middle school. How do they grow up so fast?

    ReplyDelete