Pages

Monday, May 20, 2024

That Was Unexpected

Ah, Monday again -- how soon you always arrive! The weekend went by quickly, as it always does, though it was a surprisingly beautiful one! We'd originally thought Saturday was going to be a rainy day, but it ended up being clear and sunny. And that wasn't the only surprise. Late Friday afternoon, a quick but powerful storm moved through the area. In our neighborhood, we just had some heavy rain, but not that far away were four confirmed tornadoes! The closest was less than five miles from our house, not far from the Pittburgh Zoo. Fortunately, it seems like no one was hurt and the damage left behind wasn't too bad, but it was still pretty scary. For context, the last time a tornado touched down anywhere close was 25 years ago, and I remember that storm clearly because it was quite violent and scary.

We wound up having dinner with my side of the family on Friday (where my brother spent a good portion of the evening trying to keep my nephew from wiping his lasagne-covered hands through his hair) and then with the Mister's side of the family on Saturday, so we had a lot of family time. I also took Mo to get a haircut on Saturday afternoon, had a couple of good walks, and spent some time in the garden, filling up the new planter with soil and spreading more of it around the flower beds. Thanks to all that enjoyable time doing other stuff, there wasn't a ton of crafting time over the weekend, but I am just about done with  my cowl thanks to a few episodes of Downtown Abbey (we're into season 4 now) and my Sunday Zoom session:

The last step in the finishing is grafting the two ends together, something that I don't mind doing (yes, I'm one of those weirdos who loves to graft) but that will take a bit of time. And then of course I have to write up the pattern, though I don't expect that to take very long because once you cast on, it's just a matter of knitting around and around in the colorwork pattern until it's long enough.

I also pulled out the Felici socks I've got on the needles when we were at dinner on Saturday and managed to knit and turn the heel, and then I got through the gusset decreases and into the foot yesterday afternoon while keeping Mo company while she was studying:

Mo has her finals in math and French this week, on Wednesday and Thursday. Friday is a make-up day, so as long as nothing prevents her from taking her tests on the scheduled days, she'll be off from school -- which is perfect, because we're going to Chicago for the weekend for my cousin's daughter's bat mitzvah. We're flying in midday on Friday and will be coming home Sunday so that we still get a day off. Next week, she has several days of fun mini courses, and then she graduates from middle school that Friday afternoon. And then she'll be home with me for the summer! She doesn't have any camps or anything this year, but I've told her that I expect her to wake up at a reasonable hour and get some useful things done every day, like helping out with chores around the house and getting some exercise. We're going to do some more cooking together for sure, and she said she'd help me with one of my summer projects: reorganizing my bookshelves. I also hope she'll take advantage of the time off to do a lot of reading for pleasure.

Okay, friends, time to get my day going so I can get in my run before it gets too hot. Have a good start to your week, and think of me tomorrow morning when I am (sob!) back in the office!

9 comments:

  1. The weekend did race by insanely quickly! Wee were shocked about the storms as well... I read yesterday afternoon that they confirmed that 5 tornadoes touched down here. Yikes! That is indeed scary! Your cowl is just so gorgeous, Sarah! I am eagerly anticipating the pattern release! And I will be sending all the calming thoughts for you tomorrow! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. May is zooming by in a flash! Your weekend sounds like an enjoyable mix of things, and you've got plenty to look forward to. I'm not sure when Mo got old enough to be graduating from middle school, but kids do insist on growing up. Your cowl is really lovely, and I will be thinking all the good thoughts for you when you're in the office!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to hear that you had good weather, we had chilly rain all day Saturday and Sunday. I'm glad I got my planting done on Friday but I'm bummed that I didn't get to finish everything on Sunday as I had hoped. Your weekend travel plan sounds fun and I can't believe Mo is finishing middle school already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Those storms must have been scary. So glad you are all safe. Gorgeous colorwork Sarah and congrats to Mo on finishing middle school (how did that happen?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! I'm glad all is well (enough) from the tornadoes! And pleased to hear that you still managed to have a beautiful weekend!

    Your knitting is gorgeous - that cowl is so eye-catching! And yay for Mo! I'm sure she's counting down the days!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are safe from the tornadoes! I hadn’t heard about them. I spent last week at a conference in the neighborhood just south of the zoo, but came home on Thursday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gardening . . . takes a lot of time! So I totally understand your not getting in as much crafting time as usual. May is just . . . busy that way. Glad you were safe in the storms; they are so unnerving! Like Pittsburgh, we rarely ever get tornadoes in Michigan (it has something to do with the proximity to the lakes and the jet stream), but it seems like all bets are off these days! Best of luck to Mo with her exams and the year-end wrap up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds to me like a delightful summer ahead for you and Mo. So nice you'll have the days together -- and a GREAT bookshelf project! How did it go going in this morning? I thought of you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely summer for you and Mo. I'm glad the storms weren't too damaging. Enjoy your weekend in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete