Tuesday, March 27, 2018

More In than Out

As I alluded to in my last post, there were some significant stash enhancements this past weekend at Indie Knit and Spin. I went into the event with the express purpose of buying yarn for at least two sweaters, one for me and one for Rainbow, and I'm happy to report that I was successful. I only made one sort-of impulse purchase as far as yarn is concerned, but it wasn't exactly done on impulse because it was something I'd had my eye on before.

But you want to see the yarn, don't you?

First there was the sweater for me. I was planning to knit Humulus, and I decided that I'd really like to make it in HipStrings Buoy DK (the yarn this time rather than the fiber), provided they had enough on hand. I ended up with five skeins of Lead (pb) for the main color and a beautiful spring green for the contrast color.


Rainbow, meanwhile, was looking for a worsted weight yarn so that I can knit her a Hyphen. She liked the one I made as a baby gift a lot, and she really became interested in the pattern when I told her I'd found a project on Ravelry explaining how someone had adapted the pattern to fit an 18-inch doll. So the plan is to make one for her and one for her American Girl doll. She selected some Spencer Hill Naturally Dyed Yarn Molly in the colorway Raspberry Beret.


Luckily for us, the dyer had the same colorway on other bases, so we picked up a skein of Ruth, a fingering weight singles base, for the doll sweater.


In real life, the skeins are a much better match, but it's so difficult to accurately capture any shade of red.

The sort-of impulse purchase was a skein of Bounce from Fibernymph Dye Works in a Scrabble-inspired colorway called That's Not Even a Word!


I'd had my eye on this in a previous shop update but decided at the time that I didn't need it. But when I saw it in Lisa's booth, I figured it was a sign that I should get it now.

With all the yarn coming in, I've been doing my best to keep some yarn going out of the stash to make room for it. Today I finished up a pair of socks for me, in Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce in a beer-inspired colorway called Down at the Pub.

I matched up the stripes pretty well -- at least on this side!

I used my Non-Euclidian pattern for this (because the first pair I made, though they were knit to fit me, are being kept nice as a sample). I didn't make any modifications, so they're pretty straightforward. I also wound up another skein of Bounce first thing this morning to start a pair for the Mister, who has not received a pair of hand-knit socks in several years. I don't anticipate them getting done anytime soon, but it's always good to have a pair of socks on the needles!

1 comment: