Pages

Friday, February 17, 2023

A Long Weekend (Sort of) Ahead

TGIF! This has been a strange week that has included water advisories and an unexpected school closing and a record high temperature. Work has also been a little unusual. So I'm quite happy to see Friday arrive.

It's President's Weekend here in the United States, and yesterday marked the end of Rainbow's second term of school, so she has today and Monday off. I'm working both days, but having her around and not having to leave at 3 to pick her up in the afternoon is a nice change. We've been invited to have dinner at my brother and sister-in-law's house tonight, so we will be baking challahs to take with us. 

Because of the weirdness with work, I had a couple of days where I didn't get as much crafting done as I'd hoped, but everything is moving forward. The mitten is growing very quickly; I finished the hand last night and got started on the thumb:


That locking stitch marker is indicating a little oopsie. I got a bit tangled in my knitting Wednesday evening and when the mitten fell, the needle fell out of some stitches and a few got dropped. When I picked them back up, I only realized later that I picked up a stitch in the wrong color. I didn't want to tink back (colorwork knitting in small circumferences is hard on my hands, and I do have a deadline for these), so I'm just going to duplicate stitch over that one later.

Rainbow's sock is also ready for a heel flap! I was able to get in some time on this while doing a work project (I was reading on my screen and only periodically had to type some things, so most of the time my hands were free). This isn't the most exciting project for me, but I feel like I have to knit her socks quickly if they're going to stand a chance of actually getting worn before she outgrows them, and they're fairly mindless knitting anyway.

Finally, there's the spinning, which is going slowly but steadily. It's what I've primarily been working on while reading War and Peace on my iPad. I'm closing in on finishing the first bobbin of singles.

We have no plans for the weekend other than dinner tonight, and I'm hoping that means extra crafting and reading time. The weather is supposed to be much colder, so I won't be tempted to spend more time outside, and it will be a perfect excuse to curl up with a cup of tea. Judging from the number of spring flowers I've seen coming up this week and the increasing level of birdsong I've been hearing in the mornings, our days to stay inside are dwindling. Stay cozy and have a great weekend, friends!

9 comments:

  1. A long weekend with no plans is my kind of weekend! I hope you enjoy every minute of it, starting with your Shabbat dinner and delicious challah tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I'm already looking forward to seeing your delicious challah photos on IG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you knitting these on two circular needles? I have been wanting a pair of mittens and love the color work idea but haven’t convinced myself to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extra long weekending for the win! Enjoy Shabbat with your family! (I hope we see pictures of your challah as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy every moment of your extra-long weekend, Sarah! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very much with you, Sarah...taking advantage of indoor time while we have it! Because I can already see the patio dinners and garden chores in the near'ish future!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great weekend. Having a family dinner to go to sure sounds like a good start to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay for a long weekend ... and that mitten! and for a bit more time indoors. I'm still in the mood for cozying up with a book and something warm to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice to have some extra time with your daughter. Beginning with a family dinner on Friday evening sounds like a good start to the weekend. One duplicate stitch sounds like a great fix.

    ReplyDelete