Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Unraveled, Week 7/2023

What a strange week it has been! With Rainbow being home on Monday unexpectedly and planning for her to be home on Friday (for a planned in-service day), I'm all mixed up on what day it is. But thanks to Kat's weekly Unraveling link-up, I can be sure that today is Wednesday. So, here's what I'm working on this week!

After finishing up the second combo spin skein on Sunday afternoon, I needed something to work on that evening while watching the Super Bowl, so I started a new pair of socks for Rainbow using more of the Knit Picks Felici she picked out a while back. I thought I'd so something a little different and use a tubular cast-on for these, in part to see if I could make a slight adjustment and end up with a tidier edge. All I did was make my yarnovers backwards (and then corrected how they sat on the needles on the the next round). Reducing the amount of yarn used for each yarnover ever so slightly seemed to work well -- look at this edge!

This colorway is called Friendly Skies, but I can't help to think that the one section of the stripe sequence looks like candy corn.

On Monday afternoon I wound the two skeins of handspun so I could start my mittens that evening, and all went well until I tried to start the colorwork and found that my stitch count was off (specifically, I had two more stitches than I should have had). I took another look at the chart and found the reason why. Can you spot it?

That little loopy symbol in the first and last squares on the first row of the chart is the symbol for make 1. Except that if you look closely, you'll see that the number 1 along the bottom of the chart falls not beneath the first stitch of the chart but rather below the column of row numbers. While the numbers at the bottom seem to indicate that you should have 28 stitches on each side of the mitten, you actually only need 27, so when I increased two stitches on each side, I ended up with those two extra stitches. I'm not sure how this error was missed in editing, or how the fact that the decreases also aren't indicated for the top of the mitten were also missed. These errors don't seem to appear anywhere online, either. I'll be sure to note them on my Ravelry project page. The good news is that as soon as I tinked back and removed the two extra stitches, everything was smooth sailing, and I'm now about halfway through the hand of the first mitten:

The white is waste yarn where the thumb will go.

Lest you think I'm letting my wheel sit idle, I also started a new spinning project yesterday. Remember my combo spin from last fall? I wanted to spin a bit more yarn to go with it so I could use it for a sweater, so I've pulled out last October's Southern Cross shipment, Dragon's Breath, and have split it up a bunch to mix up the colors. This will be a three-ply fingering weight (or at least I hope it will!):


I've continued to read quite a bit in the past week, but because of what I am reading (hello, brick that is War and Peace!), I have only finished one book.

Fresh Water for Flowers came highly recommended by both Katie and Mary, and it was available as both an ebook and an audiobook on Hoopla. I was out of podcasts to listen to toward the end of last week, so I opted for the audio. This translated work tells the story of Violet, a French cemetery caretaker. It's a bit of a mystery that jumps around in time as it tells the stories of her life and how she ended up caring for the final resting places of others. The book itself is quite good, but I found that my enjoyment of it was somewhat diminished by the fact that the reader was butchering all the French names and words in it. I may be a bit more sensitive to this than others because I'm trying to relearn my French, but you would think that for a book with so much of a foreign language in it, the publisher would try to find a reader who had some familiarity with that language. I wouldn't let that dissuade you from reading the book, but if mispronunciation is something that bothers you, you may want to read this with your eyes. It really is a beautiful book. I gave it 4 stars.

I'm 37% of the way through War and Peace (I've been reading while spinning, mainly) and have less than 100 pages left of The Tsar of Love and Techno. I'm reading the latter primarily before bed, so I don't get a lot read in each reading session, but I'm enjoying it so much that I may need to sit down and finish it during the day.

How about you -- what are you making and reading this week?

13 comments:

  1. Oh that error would have made me nuts! So happy you were able to resolve. And I love the colors. I am working on a super secret test knit and on to the second part of the pockets for the cardigan. I am trusting the pattern because this is all new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that Felici colorway (I can see the candy corn!). The mittens look so good so far! And I love the colors of your current spinning project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mitten is gorgeous Sarah! Love the colors. The Felici sock looks good too (and yes, I do see candy corn). I tried listening to "Fresh Water" and just could not get into it...wonder if it was the reader...I'm not into the new Louise Penny book and it feels so good to be back in Three Pines with familiar characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you resolved the mitten issue, but it does seem like something that should have been caught in editing. I guess that's why patterns have errata! I missed the orange in the "yellow" skein so those colors are a surprise to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:39 PM

    I sympathize with reading a brick of a book. I am reading David Copperfield —790 pages of small print and narrow margins. I seem to remember that WandP is over a thousand pages, though. You are a brave reader! Your color work mitten is gorgeous. Wonderful color combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no problem with big books, but the most frustrating thing about W&P is that the Kindle version I have does not have page numbers! I can see where I am in terms of percentage only.

      Delete
  6. I love those mittens but that error in the pattern must have been so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you got started on those mittens fast! And I did not see the 'candy corn' stripes...until you pointed them out. Of course :) (There they are!)
    Some narrations can totally ruin an audiobook for me. I'm up for a new one right now--but I think I'll keep looking, b/c I just labored through an audio while gritting my teeth (but my mom recommended it...and kept asking and _kept asking_ if I'd read it yet!). So now that that's done, I need a delightful refresher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh - sorry that the French was so problematic for you in Fresh Water for Flowers, but I am glad that you enjoyed it overall!! And that is so interesting that it was so terribly done, especially given that the book is translated from French?? I'm going to email you soon about W&P - but you are motoring through it!!

    All of the fiber in this post looks so yummy. And what a bizarre thing with your mitten pattern - how confusing. I'm glad you got it figured out and are on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're clever to figure out the error in the mitten chart/pattern, Sarah. And those yarns are so lovely together. I read W&P . . . one summer in my early college days. It was sort of a "challenge" from another friend, and we both ended up loving the story -- and it made me a Tolstoy fan for life! :-) I just finished reading Fresh Water for Flowers (and loved it) -- but I read with my eyes. So glad I didn't opt to listen. I hate tortured narration -- and especially foreign language pronunciations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are clever to spot that chart error. W&P is on my Bucket List of books... but you are inspiring me to move it from that list to one where it will be read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. those mittens!!!! and you're reminding me that I want to re-read Tsar of Love and Techno. Hope the rest of your week is smooth(er) sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those mittens are going to be gorgeous. You have a great sense for putting colors together. That chart error would drive me nuts. The cast on for the socks looks very nice. I'm waiting for some library books to come in so I pulled out The Shipping News.

    ReplyDelete