Pages

Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Unraveled, Week 6/2023

Happy hump day, friends! I'm happy to report that while the man cold hasn't fully left the house, the Mister is mostly feeling back to normal. He's gone back to work and has resumed his daily runs, both of which are key indicators of how he's feeling. I'm still sleeping in the guest/stash room for the time being, however, both to keep myself free of germs and because I know the snoring will continue to be unbearable for a while, and being in the other room has resulted in two good nights' sleep in a row.

It's Wednesday, and that means linking up with Kat and the Unravelers. I've been fairly monogamous with my crafting this week, focusing on my knitting project and one spinning project. The former is my hat, which has grown since Monday:

If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you'll see the progress keeper that I placed at the beginning of my time working on it yesterday; I got at least three inches knit up just yesterday. The scale is showing that I have 44 g of yarn left, but considering that the skein was 108 g to begin with, I am well past the halfway point. I have used the pattern that's currently with my tech editor but combined it with another that I still have to write up and get to her that is more of a recipe for a top-down spiral-crown hat using any yarn/any gauge. Writing that up is on my to-do list for this weekend.

What I've really been into this week has been my combo spin -- I've already finished half of the singles!


I'm really excited to see how this looks plied, and it's highly likely that plying will happen today.

I've finished two books since this time last week, one hit and one miss.

Chouette had been on my radar for a while; I know many of you have already read it, and I'd heard some good reviews. So I borrowed the audio from Hoopla. I was really confused at first. I didn't know if the main character was meant to be having a psychotic break, if having an owl baby was meant to be a metaphor for having a baby with several disabilities and special needs, or if the story in general was meant to be a rather extreme metaphor for how becoming a parent changes you. The author's note on Goodreads explained a lot to me, but I can't say it helped me to enjoy the book much more than I was. I will say that it was inventive and the writing was good, but I found it to be just too weird for me. I gave it 2 stars.


A much better read for me was Wintering: The Power of Rest and Retreat in Difficult Times. I had bought the Kindle version of this book when it was on sale a month or so ago, and I'd been waiting for the right moment to get to it. This book was pure delight. May talks about the concept of "wintering" -- allowing the body to rest and replenish at difficult times, just as nature does during the winter -- in the context of challenging times in her own life. I found her writing and her stories to be so soothing. It felt like the reading equivalent of sitting with a cup of hot tea, wrapped in a warm blanket, and watching the snow fall. I am glad I purchased it, because I can easily see myself rereading it multiple times. I gave it 4 stars.



I am currently reading two books. First, The Tsar of Love and Techno, Anthony Marra's collection of interrelated short stories, which came highly recommended by Kym and which I purchased a copy of at my local bookstore last summer. That's my bedtime reading, and it's been delightful thus far. And I've also finally started my Big Russian Buddy Read with Katie by starting War and Peace. I'm reading the Kindle version, which annoyingly does not give page numbers, only "position" in the book (I hate that!), but supposedly I am 14% through it. 

Yesterday I also finally signed up for StoryGraph, something I've been meaning to do for a while. Are you on the site? I'm there as fiberreader -- feel free to connect with me if you are.

What are you making and reading this week?


14 comments:

  1. I do like that hat! Is it meant for someone or a charity hat? I'm looking forward to seeing how the plied yarn looks. Fourteen percent through War and peace is quite a bit! I'm not sure I need an alternative to goodreads, but I will check out StoryGraph and see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your colour combos on both the projects. Not sure owl babies would appeal to me. The concept behind Wintering really sounds like me for the last three months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been using The StoryGraph for a little over a year and I have been happy I made the switch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still reading Winter Solstice, but I'm almost finished. Vera lent me a Mark Twain book. I think that will be next up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of marathon reading, I started David Copperfield last night. I didn't know it was (gasp) 730 pages with small print and narrow margins. But I wanted to read the original before I read Demon Copperhead. I love the colors of your hat --gray and yet so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All Dickens is long, but I really enjoy his books and find that they're worth it.

      Delete
  6. Love your hat! Fun colors and stripes always win. The owl book does not appeal to me at all! (no surprise there, I guess). I think I tried Wintering and could not get into it. I stopped at the library and picked up 4 books today...hopefully I can read them all before they are due back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving that hat! (I feel like I always say that over here LOL) I guess a hit and a miss with reading is bound to happen now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got a lot of fiber and reading stuff going on ... Juliann is the only person I know personally who made the StoryGraph switch - look forward to hearing more about your experience. and your new pattern(s?) Now that I'm back to regular walks with Lucy, I'm wearing hats and earwarmers every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hat and your spinning are nicely color coordinated. I don't know anything about StoryGraph so look forward to hearing more. I thoroughly enjoyed Wintering and have her next book on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hat and spinning do coordinate nicely! Love that stripey hat! :)

    Wintering was such a wonderful read... and it reset how I think about these quiet winter months. Smart you for picking up a copy... I need to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that hat, Sarah! And I liked Wintering very much...though it was not at all what I was wanting or anticipating when I picked it up a winter or two ago... (AND, that was okay!) Her _Electricity_ is on my radar. For sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, lovely knitting and spinning, Sarah. (I sound like a broken record here, but I love your project updates. You inspire.) I loved Wintering; think I'll pass on Chouette. And I'm so glad you're enjoying The Tsar of Love and Techno so far. (Such a great book title . . . ) XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am happy to read that your husband is recovering from his cold AND that you're getting some sleep ;) What a great week of stitching, spinning, and reading! So glad you loved Wintering - it's one I think about often. My hold on The Electricity of All Living Things by May is nearly ready - I am excited to read something else by her.

    ReplyDelete