Pages

Friday, February 03, 2023

Fiber Out, Fiber In

Happy Friday, friends! It's a cold one here -- we aren't even going to break 20F today, and that's not even taking into account the wind chill. I have to make a couple of quick trips out (to pick up some more milk and get Rainbow from school), but otherwise I will be staying inside with lots of wool on me.

Yesterday was a very busy day. I went for a quick run first thing, then went into my office for a team meeting, then went to donate blood, and finally went to drop off an Amazon return before heading home -- I had 18K steps by the time I got home for lunch! On top of all that, I had a board meeting yesterday evening. So today I am hoping for a much quieter day.

While some knitting has been happening this week, it's mainly been about the spinning here lately. On Wednesday afternoon I plied up that quick spin I shared in singles form in my last post. I was too busy yesterday to skein and wash it, so that's on tap for today.

This is the fourth bag of Southern Cross fiber I've spun this year, and that's a good thing, because my January club just arrived!

The colorway is Rainforest, and it's on Bond wool, a breed that is lovely and easy to spin but more hardy than merino.

That's not the only fiber I received in the mail this week, either. In my Sunday Zoom last week, Margene informed me that she'd sent me a box of fiber from her stash, which she is in the process of divesting now that she no longer spins. I would have told her I didn't need any more fiber in my stash if she'd asked, but she knew I would appreciate some special items and only told me they were coming after they were already in the mail!

The three bags in the top row are all (obviously) undyed, but don't let that fool you into thinking they're boring. They are, from left to right, 70/20/10 Cormo/alpaca/bombyx silk, 90/10 Cormo/yearling mohair, and Polwarth. The dyed fiber is pretty special, too: 80/20 Cormo/angora, CVM/alpaca/angora/sparkle (percentages not specified), and 60/30/10 merino/silk/angora. I have a lot of very pleasurable spinning time ahead!

I hope if your area is frigid like mine, you can stay warm and cozy while the cold lasts. Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

  1. It's a good thing we're spinners, knitters, and makers of warm things! We are going to need them this weekend. I hope you have a lovely, warm, and cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so nice of your friend to send you some fiber. It looks like it will be interesting spinning up yarn from the different breeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't complain to me about 20˚F. It was -22˚F when I got up at 8:30 this morning. We have been dealing with frozen pipes on and off for several weeks. [/whine]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are plenty of people who have it worse! I hope the cold moves out of your area soon!

      Delete
  4. so much fiber goodness! have you spun angora before? So glad you have lots of handknits to layer and stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spinning and fiber all looks wonderful. I hope you can stay warm and tucked indoors this weekend. Thank goodness for wool. I hope your power stays up and running. Currently it is down where my daughter and family live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are MOTORING through your fiber!! Wow! I can't wait to see your latest all washed and skeined up. I love it!!

    I hope you got your quiet day yesterday and managed to squeeze in some reading time. And I hope you're staying warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always grateful for wool and hand knits but especially so when the temperature plummets! It was -10 here this morning when I got up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We broke 20 a couple of days ago and it felt like a spa day! LOL I was hopeful you wouldn't really mind a few more bags o'wool in your stash when you saw the blends. Thanks for taking them off my hands. :)

    ReplyDelete